Spring opening on guns

Apologies for the terminology.

something I find annoying on my silver pigeon and other guns is when you open it and it kind of springs back and makes it hard to insert the second shell.

I think brownings tend to be the opposite here and open "cleanly" i found the same with a cg summit I tried.

I had an invictus 5 for a week but had to return it. This also seemed to spring open but I have a feeling you could adjust it? There seemed to be a sort of push rod holding the action open.

more generally, am I alone finding this annoying? It's not exactally a big factor in my new gun search but it is a factor.

I really liked the invictus apart from that and perhaps a little heavy.

Change the way you hold the gun when re-loading.

Support the barrels with your front hand and load shells in to the gaping action with the rear. The weight of the action and stock will hold the opening open automatically.

Alternatively reverse the first barrel set up to the top barrel, then when you fire only one shot, the top barrel will be the empty one and easier to reload.

Shotguns have been like this for years, the rest of us seem able to adapt and cope.

Get an old 101, they just drop open! 😀

Joking aside, my Perazzi does it. It isn’t anything which annoys me, just  something I have to take into account on a busy drive or a clay flush. Meaning I have to ensure my cartridges are in the correct pocket, but that applies to any gun really in similar circumstances. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Or, if you really want to reload more quickly, just buy a SxS.

Strangely I found my sxs more fiddly to load, the ou seems easier to drop the two cartridges in to. Definitely find the slight spring back annoying on some guns, I use an auto now though so no longer an issue!

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Change the way you hold the gun when re-loading.

Support the barrels with your front hand and load shells in to the gaping action with the rear. The weight of the action and stock will hold the opening open automatically.

Alternatively reverse the first barrel set up to the top barrel, then when you fire only one shot, the top barrel will be the empty one and easier to reload.

Shotguns have been like this for years, the rest of us seem able to adapt and cope.

Never had the problem with any other make that I`ve owned but have come across it repeatedly with Beretta 20b and shorter barreled 12`s .

Surprised to hear Perazzi suffer from it tho` !!

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Or, if you really want to reload more quickly, just buy a SxS.

+1

25 minutes ago, matone said:

Never had the problem with any other make that I`ve owned but have come across it repeatedly with Beretta 20b and shorter barreled 12`s .

Surprised to hear Perazzi suffer from it tho` !!

+1

It’s an old gun, I don’t know if it was like that from new or what. 
A brand new 690 I tried at a demo’ day was the same, but not a brand new Kronos I tried on the same day.