300 blackout

Benthejockey

I've got that new gun itch building that starts every so often. What I really want is a 375 hh but 1 I can't afford one, 2 I can't afford the ammo to feed it and 3 I think I'd probably struggle to get it passed for UK use with West mercia. So then I thought maybe I want a 45-70. Maybe a saucy little laminate marlin lever gun. But they're running to £1500. Then I saw a very interesting 300 aac blackout. Bergara ba13 single shot runs to under 500 quid, subsonic ammo is under 30 quid a box and it looks a very handy little thing. Just wondering if anyone has one or has had one and general thoughts on it.

Yes, I have one. Wanted a dedicated subsonic setup for close range bush hunting. It has worked out well. A few things to be aware of though. Subsonic hunting has it's own challenges. To get the most out of it, you need to reload. If like me, you don't then factory ammunition is limited. If you plan to do head, or well placed neck shots, you can put anything up the spout. Otherwise, there is Hornady Sub-X ammunition which is supposed to expand at subsonic speeds. I have found the terminal performance less than impressive, so stick to head/neck shots. I wouldn't describe Sub-X as quiet either, but have got it under control by upgrading my suppressor. Back to the gun. It's short, handy and well built. I like the hammer cocking mechanism and feel that it is safe, even without a safety catch. On the downside, it is much heavier than it looks! Being 300BLK, it will be happy with supersonic rounds as well. They also do a stainless .308 version with a fast twist barrel which is worth considering.

Hunting-Wallaby1.jpg

Hunting-Turkey1.jpg

Goat2.jpg

IMG-2444-2.jpg