Marlin 1895 GBL .45-70

I like that although you've mentioned sponsors, the video isn't dominated by sponsorship & advertising, so well done for that.

Seems as the gun has an historical use, I'd liked to have learned more about the origins of it - you only glossed over it briefly.  Maybe some sort of real world examples of its use would have been interesting.

Just looking at a bloke enjoying himself peeling off 12 rounds from a gun is OK but I'm all the while thinking what is the target and where is it?  Let's use football as an example, they show you the guy kicking the ball and then they show you where he's kicked it to.  It's kind of logical!

Range?  Muzzle velocity?  Intended quarry?  Lots of unanswered questions.

But, nonetheless, it is a very interesting gun to showcase and I do like its looks and quirky mechanics so thanks for sharing :)

I'm glad you are having fun with it. I honestly never saw the point for them and cartridges have moved on. I've hunted with guys that use them for deer over hounds but most will take a remington pump action 308Win, 30-06 or 35 Whelen any day of the week. 

3 hours ago, mchughcb said:

I'm glad you are having fun with it. I honestly never saw the point for them and cartridges have moved on. I've hunted with guys that use them for deer over hounds but most will take a remington pump action 308Win, 30-06 or 35 Whelen any day of the week. 

I think a lot of the Marlin levers in 45-70 are used as PDWs against bears when out in the wild on hunting trips.

Edited by Pangolin

• 3 weeks later...

Its a carry all day and shoot very occasionally type of rifle. Its toys for the boys.

.45-70 is still popular in America because the re-enactors have and use the calibre

Full power its still not enough to reliably stop a bear, nothing much is to be honest.

But its great value is that it can be down loaded to pistol velocities for comfortable plinking.

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Its a carry all day and shoot very occasionally type of rifle. Its toys for the boys.

.45-70 is still popular in America because the re-enactors have and use the calibre

Full power its still not enough to reliably stop a bear, nothing much is to be honest.

But its great value is that it can be down loaded to pistol velocities for comfortable plinking.

The Alaskans seem to like them as they aren't very heavy and quick to cycle without operating a bolt.

They also fire the big 430grain bullets with 3600ft/lb of muzzle energy, people drop 800lb bison with them, it'd give a good chance at least.

Edited by Pangolin