Art and antiques

foxbasher

Evening all don't suppose any members on the forum are in the arts and antiques trade, preferably based in the South. I've a few items that I'm looking for an opinion on but don't want to run the gauntlet of evil Bay or taking to a shop that's gonna take me for a mugšŸ¤”

Cheers fb

whatever you want to do............it is the worst time to do it.......it is definatly a buyers market and good stuff is going for a pittance..........so unless you have a few faberge eggs to off load...hang on to the stuff you have............

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

whatever you want to do............it is the worst time to do it.......it is definatly a buyers market and good stuff is going for a pittance..........so unless you have a few faberge eggs to off load...hang on to the stuff you have............

He has some vintageĀ  mole trapsĀ šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒ

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

I would disagree. Good quality antigue furniture in particular seems to be highly popular right now - especially anything small and practical. Miniature dressers, good quality cricket tables, oak chairs, spice racks, have made a huge comeback, to name but a few.

My dad is in the trade (sort-of, he's 84 and has retired 3 times already !), I'd be happy to ask his opinion on anything you wantedĀ a pic of, or even give my opinion of it if you wanted, you pick things up through just being around that stuff for so long.

I'm not in the trade, I work in the NHS

10 hours ago, foxbasher said:

Evening all don't suppose any members on the forum are in the arts and antiques trade, preferably based in the South. I've a few items that I'm looking for an opinion on but don't want to run the gauntlet of evil Bay or taking to a shop that's gonna take me for a mugšŸ¤”

Cheers fb

It depends what you have. Iā€™ve never dealt in fine furniture or fine art, but used to dabble in most other items such as arts and crafts, Art Deco, signage, tools and garden furniture, decor. I bought and sold quite a bit of militaria when younger.Ā 
I doubt anyone can help unless they know what you have.Ā 

If the items can easily be described then it might be worth looking here: https://www.easyliveauction.com/price-guide/ (you'll need to register).

It's an online auction platform that shows historical prices and I've found it very useful in the past. Note the prices will be hammer prices so there're be commission added on for the buyer, typically 20-30%.

12 hours ago, robbiep said:

I would disagree. Good quality antigue furniture in particular seems to be highly popular right now - especially anything small and practical.

I think it is fair to say that top quality - and small and practical have both been much less depressed than many items.Ā  The present trend is for 'de-cluttering' and so much 'run of the mill' ornamental stuff (clocks, mirrors, china etc.) is not in fashion - but the rare and the best still do well.Ā  Similarly, nice usable furniture items always have some demand.

My advice would be to find a local salerooms that has an 'antiques and fine art' sale periodically (as opposed to normal basic sales) and get a free valuation.Ā  However remember that a lot of these places charge a big commission on both the seller and buyer - which has VAT on the commissions.Ā  E.g. I have just watched a clock sale this morning and one item did well at Ā£4000 hammer price.Ā  The seller will get about Ā£3000, the buyer will pay about Ā£5000 after the commissions and VAT thereon.

If you believe you have 'high end' items, the London auction rooms often have either local reps, or do valuation days locally.

16 hours ago, ditchman said:

Thatā€™s not what we are seeing, we ship art and antiques from most of the major and minor auctioneers in the country and everyone I have spoken to canā€™t believe how well things are selling. Ā Weā€™ve never been busier, Ā with these if you let me know where you are and what they are then I can probably suggest the best auctioneer option. Ā 

Thanks all, cracking advice. Its a weird mix of stuff to be honest. There's a couple of larger items from komlĆ³s kerĆ”mia of Budapest, a George 3rd stick barometer that's nice but needs a little work and some art that I have no idea who the artist is by the signature but it's been professionally frames by a place in London so I wouldn't imagine it's all that cheap

5 minutes ago, foxbasher said:

Thanks all, cracking advice. Its a weird mix of stuff to be honest. There's a couple of larger items from komlĆ³s kerĆ”mia of Budapest, a George 3rd stick barometer that's nice but needs a little work and some art that I have no idea who the artist is by the signature but it's been professionally frames by a place in London so I wouldn't imagine it's all that cheap

Hello, did you check out the framers to see if still in business ?

Hadn't thought of that, do they keep records of the pieces they frame? I know their not worth mega money but I would hate to sell them at the bootsale for a few quid an then find out their worth a hundred or two. Their not old, i think one is dated 2008

19 minutes ago, foxbasher said:

Post a picture of the signature, or PM me with it. I may be able to help with that bit.Ā 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Post a picture of the signature, or PM me with it. I may be able to help with that bit.Ā 

Would you be willing to accept a similar question from me?Ā  I have an old (Victorian?) head and shoulders portrait with a clear monogram - which I have been unable to find anything about.Ā  It may well be intended to be a religious (i.e. Jesus) picture as it resembles the standard 'Jesus' imageĀ  It is oil on canvas and not to my liking at all.Ā  The monogram seems to include A, W and C.Ā  It is not a picture I like at all!

39 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Would you be willing to accept a similar question from me?Ā  I have an old (Victorian?) head and shoulders portrait with a clear monogram - which I have been unable to find anything about.Ā  It may well be intended to be a religious (i.e. Jesus) picture as it resembles the standard 'Jesus' imageĀ  It is oil on canvas and not to my liking at all.Ā  The monogram seems to include A, W and C.Ā  It is not a picture I like at all!

Yeah, I donā€™t mind at all. Iā€™m no expert but seem to know all manner of obscure artists for some reason.Ā 

6 hours ago, foxbasher said:

Hadn't thought of that, do they keep records of the pieces they frame? I know their not worth mega money but I would hate to sell them at the bootsale for a few quid an then find out their worth a hundred or two. Their not old, i think one is dated 2008

Probably not records in that way, a few of the biggies have stopped trading in the last few years but that might be down to how expensive it got. Ā Iā€™ve seen bills for thousands to frame some not very big works. Ā Itā€™s just possible if they spent money on the framing then you could have ones worth some money. Ā Some of the modern prints are going for silly money...... if you want to open your eyes have a look at Phillips auctioneers in London. Ā Some proper varied modern ā€œartā€Ā