Ow much!

Centrepin

The key had to go on a computer to be read, because it uses a rolling code it either has to be specially programmed or both keys re programmed with new codes.

Cutting was the easy part.

I used pixelsfixed.co.uk 07762725041 Boyd. 

Apparently lives in Scotland but travels around the UK doing keys and fixing missing digital pixels.

Mines a Range Rover but he does all types. Prices I suppose vary on what you need.

On 27/05/2021 at 13:45, Lloyd90 said:

Do you need the codes or can they just do it from the key you currently have?

My Mrs needs a spare one as the dog ate hers, she is currently using the spare she originally had. 

I had a spare key cut two years ago from Timpson's , all I wanted was a non remote key for my wife if she got back to my motor before I do as we rarely go shopping together , I ended up going to three different branches as only one of them had the right computer to program it in , in the end I had to have a remote one as they program it from my key , the cost then was around £100 , you will need to take your car as well as your key , by all accounts from the PW massive when I inquired on the forum , Timpsons was the cheapest .

37 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I had a spare key cut two years ago from Timpson's , all I wanted was a non remote key for my wife if she got back to my motor before I do as we rarely go shopping together , I ended up going to three different branches as only one of them had the right computer to program it in , in the end I had to have a remote one as they program it from my key , the cost then was around £100 , you will need to take your car as well as your key , by all accounts from the PW massive when I inquired on the forum , Timpsons was the cheapest .

thanks 👍🏻

A farmer had a original land rover key cut(£90) but didn't realise it needed coding to the alarm, a dealership in Hereford wanted £175 just to code it, they said minimum is a one hour charge, I took it to a land rover garage in Symonds Yat they did it for £40 but pointed out that the receiver for the fob signal in the roof was playing up, replaced by my self for about £20. Everything works fine now.

Just shows how much the official dealerships make £175 to code a key, imagine it would double if they supplied a key.

Edited by powler

How ironic , two days after posting about a key I had cut from Timpsons I had my original key fell to bits when we sat on my driveway all ready to go out , the top half fell to bits and left the shaft in the ignition , to begin with I had a job getting it out , I then got a pair of pliers , gave it twist , pushed it in and then it pulled out , lucky enough I had a spare key and we were soon on our way .

Now when I got home I had a blank that I got off the bay for about a fiver , I was hopping I could unscrew the shaft and put my old one and the program block in the new blank to save me having another one cut , the first problem was the shaft is fixed with no screws so you can't get it off , all was not lost as the plastic back was the most damaged and the Ebay one fitted a treat , I then glued the crack on the front and believe it or not it is now working a treat although I am using my spare one and my wife have got my old one to get in my motor if she get back before me .

What I would like to know from you wise gentlemen is , do a better known blank from car key cutters / lock smiths can be taken to bits and the parts from the old key can then be re fitted ??  THANKS .

P S ....... My car is a Honda CR-V

21 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

I took one to bit's for one of the shoot discovery's and put it all back together with a blank from the bay all works fine, no problem. Only cost a couple of quid.

Sound good to me , a massive saving you made :good:.

I called in Timpsons today and asked the chap if his blanks come to bits , no they were the same , the back come off but the front have got the shaft firmly fixed , when I told him my problem he said he can cut the blank from my key and fit the program block into the blank key , cost £45.00.