Home visit......

ChrisO

I’ve finally got my home visit booked with GMP, after 7 months and a great deal of help from the team at BASC, I’m due a visit next Wednesday,

Im after a little advice from those experienced in these matters.

Ive hidden my cabinet in our lasses wardrobe and no, she didn’t know. My thinking being, concealment as well as a good fitting, can’t be a bad combination. 
The cabinet is bolted to an external wall, having cut through the wardrobe back, it sits on the wardrobe base, which is three inches above floor level.

My only concern is the sitting on the wardrobe base, but there’s not much I could do about that. They’re fitted units, of a high standard, so would take some dismantling/smashing.

Am I worrying over nothing folks ?

37FB35B8-F720-4D29-98F6-9E85F84484CB.png.5e0657a19a13e17ce12949ebd3874997.png

602E917F-A162-4DE4-9C0F-5160B76D12A1.png

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

You have every reason to be concerned as Lady's wardrobes are the first place a burglar will look.

If I were you I would dig up the sitting room floor and put the gun safe under the carpet.

If only we had carpet !

Our lass is no lady.

If it's bolted to the outside wall then all should be good in theory but be subservient to him and don't let him sit down with a cuppa in luxury, get him outside to the garage to do the paperwork as you have lost your pet tarantula yesterday and can't find him

When I was in my last house my gun cabinet was in my bedroom cupboard , I say gun cabinet but it was converted from a metal locker , it had two rim locks on the inside and a heavy duty padlock on the outside , every time my s g c came up for renewal the firearm officer came up the stairs to my bedroom and waited near the door while I handed him my guns to check the name and the serial number , not once from the day I installed the metal locker did he poke his nose in and have a look at my cabinet .

Now I have been moved for just over four years , all the renewal requirements was done over the phone and up to now nobody have come round , last year I had to renew my s g c and the Norfolk firearm department were excellent , as time was getting close when my old one was due to expire they sent me a temporary one in case I got stopped or I needed to buy some cartridges , as it turned out I didn't need it as my new one arrived on my mat before the old one ran out .

P S .. By the way , My new cabinet is a proper one and after forking out a small fortune I hope one day the firearm officer have the decency to at least have a look at it :lol:

I very much doubt if the op have got any thing to worry about . 

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I think you should put your cabinet in her lingerie drawer, once you've done that simply post a picture and we'll let you know what we think.

😂😂😂 you sure ?

Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like I’m not a million miles away from passable.

In regards the tarantula, we actually did lose a snake at our last house. Never had a pet since, God knows where it went 😂

56 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

My thinking being, concealment as well as a good fitting, can’t be a bad combination.

But not so concealed that it's a PITA to use, and therefore might not be used.

More than a few certs have been revoked due to farmers getting complacent and just leaving their shotguns hanging about the house, because they don't want to peel their work clothes off and go upstairs.

I don't speak fluent Northern, so I don't know if 'our lass' refers to your partner or your daughter, but I hope the former, and you're not proposing to disturb your daughter every time you need your shotgun.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

More than a few certs have been revoked due to farmers getting complacent and just leaving their shotguns hanging about the house, because they don't want to peel their work clothes off and go upstairs.

I don't speak fluent Northern, so I don't know if 'our lass' refers to your partner or your daughter, but I hope the former, and you're not proposing to disturb your daughter every time you need your shotgun.

our lass 

That’s probably his sister 🤭

or is that Norfolk?😂

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

There’s plenty of room behind the hangers, easy enough to use.

The rest of your reply is just weird, a bit wrong.

35 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

If you come home late from shooting, be it a clay competition, or pest control, are you really going to want to wake your daughter up so you can put the gun away?

I don't know what you were inferring, but if it's what I think it is....says more about you.

14 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

If you come home late from shooting, be it a clay competition, or pest control, are you really going to want to wake your daughter up so you can put the gun away?

I don't know what you were inferring, but if it's what I think it is....says more about you.

He’s referring to his other half.

56 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

There’s plenty of room behind the hangers, easy enough to use.

People tend to use banter a bit strongly.

But in all practicality, that is something that people have been caught out over - a gun cabinet in the loft is a classic example. Get in from a day out, tired and cold. Put gun (in slip) somewhere out of the way while you have dinner and a bath to warm up, and before you know it you're dozing off on the sofa, gone to bed and the next morning the gun is still where it was the evening before.

It's got to be out of sight of a casual visitor to the house, but still accessible. So in a cupboard or wardrobe is fine. You don't need to go the whole nine yards and make a secret panel in the back of a wardrobe for it.

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Course it does, because I’m the one inferring anything. I’m still looking for the part in my op where I mention even having a daughter, maybe you could highlight it for me, you’re the one with the fascination ?

4 hours ago, robbiep said:

People tend to use banter a bit strongly.

But in all practicality, that is something that people have been caught out over - a gun cabinet in the loft is a classic example. Get in from a day out, tired and cold. Put gun (in slip) somewhere out of the way while you have dinner and a bath to warm up, and before you know it you're dozing off on the sofa, gone to bed and the next morning the gun is still where it was the evening before.

It's got to be out of sight of a casual visitor to the house, but still accessible. So in a cupboard or wardrobe is fine. You don't need to go the whole nine yards and make a secret panel in the back of a wardrobe for it.

I don’t mind banter, but there are lines.

Its literally a case of swishing a dozen frocks out of the way and it’s there.  So in all practicality, not more than a 10 second inconvenience to gain the same level of access, as if it were outside of the wardrobe.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This also was my first reaction. Especially if you are out and off at 5.00am the next morning to set off to go shooting. The temptation might be to take the gun and ammunition out the night before.

4 hours ago, ChrisO said:

m still looking for the part in my op where I mention even having a daughter, maybe you could highlight it for me

11 hours ago, ChrisO said:

our lasses wardrobe

Lass typically meaning a ‘young girl or unmarried woman’, it is akin to saying “my lad” and referring to your husband not son. Lasses without the possessive apostrophe complicated the comprehension further creating ambiguity. But it is clearly oral dialect and in the context , whilst I have never heard the use in that manner, I completely understood what you meant.

I read a post where someone was walking with his boy and his boy was attacked by a dog. I pictured that to be his male child and responded as such, but it turned out to be his dog.

Good luck with the grant of your certificate, I see no issue with the siting of your cabinet. 👍

9 hours ago, robbiep said:

Get in from a day out, tired and cold. Put gun (in slip) somewhere out of the way while you have dinner and a bath to warm up, and before you know it you're dozing off on the sofa, gone to bed and the next morning the gun is still where it was the evening before.

Come in from a day’s shooting. You dry and feed the dog first, then you clean the gun and put it away. Then, and only then, is it time for your bath/dinner/snooze. That is the old way when beginners were taught properly about shooting.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Come in from a day’s shooting. You dry and feed the dog first, then you clean the gun and put it away. Then, and only then, is it time for your bath/dinner/snooze. That is the old way when beginners were taught properly about shooting.

And the only other thing to add is that all being well it won't be too long before that cabinet is too small so best start looking for ideas for another location.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

You forgot 1  =   dog, gun, day's bag, and then you

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

And the only other thing to add is that all being well it won't be too long before that cabinet is too small so best start looking for ideas for another location.

My thoughts too. I would never advise a three gun cabinet. It's near impossible to get even 3 in.

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Good luck with the visit.

Only issue I can see is it’s going to cost you some new dresses- she will use the excuse for some more, that you got ‘dirty gun oil’ on one of her best!

😂😂👍

On 28/05/2021 at 13:57, DUNKS said:

My thoughts too. I would never advise a three gun cabinet. It's near impossible to get even 3 in.

I’m only ever gonna need room for two, I’m too tight to buy more.