Shotgun silencers

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

A-tech12 and Silenco.

are these held on licence? 

so.. i develop subsonics for these for ages, never really used these only the fully shrouded versions. not for long either, Not going into debate about what is best. But was actually thinking of getting one and developing either for these, or test them. I have a feel how i can get the best out of full length moderated guns.

im thinking of the future proof of effective non lead shells. For these.

17 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

A-tech12 and Silenco.

are these held on licence? 

so.. i develop subsonics for these for ages, never really used these only the fully shrouded versions. not for long either, Not going into debate about what is best. But was actually thinking of getting one and developing either for these, or test them. I have a feel how i can get the best out of full length moderated guns.

im thinking of the future proof of effective non lead shells. For these.

Not on licence.

Guest cookoff013

subsonic loads need to produce less speed to not break the sound barrier, produce less gas volume not to saturate the equilibration from high prssure / breech to low pressure -Muzzel. 
most shotgun loads produce enough gas to saturate silencers. this is typically 22+ grains of powder, maybe burning inneficiently at 70%
just thinking i can get 15grains burning 85%.

when i did my development loads, it was full length silencers. the best i ever got was 13 grain of powder in subsonics for 1020fps. thats the pinicle i think.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not on licence.

cool, just checking, the resource i read is that if it goes on a fac shotgun, it becomes a licencable item. whatever that means....
cheers i`ll have a look. 

I'm not convinced by the general  sub sonic cartridge idea .shot gun pellets ( no 9 - 5 ) have terrible bc 's and lose velocity very fast once these pellets come out of the barrel even at super sonic speeds they very very quickly become sub sonic in such a short distance  .

The sonic crack accociated with a super sonic bullet  is headed as the high bc bullet travels many many yards and is super  all the way .you hear the air " rip " for the whole distance .

The pellets from a super load are very small and are probably sub sonic after 15 yds .the time and distance is so short you don't hear any appreciable crack .

You can get this effect from a moderated .17 hmr .shoot it at a target say 25 yds away and the gun shot sounds pretty quiet (as the sonic crack hasn't had the time or distance to take hold of your ears ) the same shot at a 100 yds target sound way way louder .

I feel that your limiting your guns performance with a slow moving cartridge and the sound benefits  are so minimal .

Just my take on it  .

35 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

subsonic loads need to produce less speed to not break the sound barrier, produce less gas volume not to saturate the equilibration from high prssure / breech to low pressure -Muzzel. 
most shotgun loads produce enough gas to saturate silencers. this is typically 22+ grains of powder, maybe burning inneficiently at 70%
just thinking i can get 15grains burning 85%.

when i did my development loads, it was full length silencers. the best i ever got was 13 grain of powder in subsonics for 1020fps. thats the pinicle i think.

cool, just checking, the resource i read is that if it goes on a fac shotgun, it becomes a licencable item. whatever that means....
cheers i`ll have a look. 

The FAC shotgun is such, as it holds more that 3 cartridges, so I would have thought that a silencer/moderator would be exempt from licencing. It would be good to know the facts though.

the 12g moss is useless even with subs, sold my a-tec for my semi auto, it was even worse, average semi 28” barrel with mod 38” 😂 pointless imo. Unless your in complete open space with nothing around great. But the point of a mod is to shoot where you like without causing havoc. 🤷‍♂️ For £400.. you could literally buy a second hand investarm 20b hushpower which actually does it’s job, I took a 20b in px which is for sale and I got a brand new one before that. My go to decoying gun.. I loved the idea of a 12g choke mod, but I was in the same situation when i didn’t have a mod 😂 way to loud for cattle and not to upset people

Edited by gamekeeperwales

30 minutes ago, gamekeeperwales said:

the 12g moss is useless even with subs, sold my a-tec for my semi auto, it was even worse, average semi 28” barrel with mod 38” 😂 pointless imo. Unless your in complete open space with nothing around great. But the point of a mod is to shoot where you like without causing havoc. 🤷‍♂️ For £400.. you could literally buy a second hand investarm 20b hushpower which actually does it’s job, I took a 20b in px which is for sale and I got a brand new one before that. My go to decoying gun.. I loved the idea of a 12g choke mod, but I was in the same situation when i didn’t have a mod 😂 way to loud for cattle and not to upset people

I've an 8 inch mod coming for my semi auto 20b  which will go on the  26 inch barrel  .

I'm not chasing ultimate silence (if I want that I use an airgun ) it's mainly for hearing protection mine and the dogs .and not to upset locals out for a walk ..

I also agree 12b is hard to moderate  .there is a big hole in the end .

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

I've an 8 inch mod coming for my semi auto 20b  which will go on the  26 inch barrel  .

I'm not chasing ultimate silence (if I want that I use an airgun ) it's mainly for hearing protection mine and the dogs .and not to upset locals out for a walk ..

I also agree 12b is hard to moderate  .there is a big hole in the end .

28 gram eley I recon are best for sound and killing power  !! All the subs other than 30g 5 gamebore which are mega expensive!! Are 7.5s not that I’ve ever had problems with killing crows with them!! Drops them stone dead. Flatten crows within 30yards with 24g 7.5s but with a mod fitted I know semi autos can be fussy, send me a pic when you got her set up ?? I love hushpowers, currently getting myself a Baikal over and under 410 hushpower made aswell she’s in the making 2nd one in the country 

That's cool .

My next gun will probably be a .410 ou hushpower .

Who is making it for you ? Saddlery and gunroom? .

Think I'd go with a ylidiz multi choke .and have the stock adjustable for hight .

When I had a 20b mossy hush .

I liked to shoot black gold or 32 grm nsi no 6 .

Stuffed crows at silly ranges  

It didn't shoot lighter 7.5 grm loads very well though  .

On 28/05/2021 at 17:20, Ultrastu said:

I'm not convinced by the general  sub sonic cartridge idea .shot gun pellets ( no 9 - 5 ) have terrible bc 's and lose velocity very fast once these pellets come out of the barrel even at super sonic speeds they very very quickly become sub sonic in such a short distance  .

The sonic crack accociated with a super sonic bullet  is headed as the high bc bullet travels many many yards and is super  all the way .you hear the air " rip " for the whole distance .

The pellets from a super load are very small and are probably sub sonic after 15 yds .the time and distance is so short you don't hear any appreciable crack .

You can get this effect from a moderated .17 hmr .shoot it at a target say 25 yds away and the gun shot sounds pretty quiet (as the sonic crack hasn't had the time or distance to take hold of your ears ) the same shot at a 100 yds target sound way way louder .

I feel that your limiting your guns performance with a slow moving cartridge and the sound benefits  are so minimal .

Just my take on it  .

Please take the time to watch this ! I’ve tested this cartridge starting from 10 yards away over months .. last crow on here fell dead at 40 but was shot a little closer. 21g 7.5 magnasonics.. Nothing wrong with subs ✌️