One for those busy days

Walker570

Cold hands and fingers fumbling in pockets for a shell or two as partridges flit past, well I quickly put this together for such occasions.  Nathan gave me some offcuts this week and one such was an already glued up channel section in oak and I thought put some ends in that and add a fixing through the base plus a nice lining of leather courtesy of mel3 and Linda, should solve the problem.  Handful of 410s in there, top hole.

005.jpg

008.jpg

I've seen the ridiculous Monkey Loader and various other less ridiculous devices such as the "Fleet Loader" come and go and reappear when invented anew. But I follow Robert Churchill's advice in his excellent book "Game Shooting". It is this. That when you have filled you jacket pocket and/or your cartridge satchel with cartridges to give both a good shaking. So that the cartridges move about. This causes the heavier end of the cartridge to align itself vertically downwards. Thus all the "brass" heads (or what nowadays is brass plated) iare now uppermost. Try it. It worked for Churchill, it worked for an earlier two generations of shooters and, yes, it will work for you also. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Good one. Never read that, must do.  I have used a similar little platform to that shown in the past and it works great. This one just olds a few additional shells to my original.

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've seen the ridiculous Monkey Loader and various other less ridiculous devices come and go and reappear when invented anew. But I follow Robert Churchill's advice in his excellent book "Game Shooting". It is this. That when you have filled you jacket pocket and/or your cartridge satchel with cartridges to give both a good shaking. This causes the heavier end of the cartridge to align itself vertically downwards. Thus all the "brass" heads (or what nowadays is brass plated) iare now uppermost. Try it. It worked for Churchill, it worked for an earlier two generations of shooters and, yes, it will work for you also. 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Top job although you maybe want a bar to put your boot on to get it into the ground just a thought 😊👍

now I’m a little concerned that your loaders struggling a little early season have you considered sending her to the gym for a bit of fitness training 🤔😊

OF if you are in the area again and I mention that suggestion can I just say don't call for coffee as she who must be obeyed can be very vicious when riled:lol: