Silencer question

MacSxS

3 minutes ago, jall25 said:

And a rimfire mod will need to go on a firearms cert

It has no markings on it to say its a rimfire mod. Its only on the packaging

3 minutes ago, Chaz25 said:

Worth a try there mainly just chambers in a tube.

Yep all metal construction 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

And a rimfire mod will need to go on a firearms cert

3 hours ago, MacSxS said:

Good afternoon all, 

I have been offered a Barton gunworks Parker hale rimfire silencer in 22. For a good price. 

Is there an difference between the .22 rimfire silencer. And  a .22 air rifle silencer? 

Simply if this is a rimfire mod and is off ticket - it is illegal

Do not get involved and i would advise your friend of such too and hand it in

🤪

A sound moderator ONLY takes the condition of the gun it is to be fitted on:
IF going onto an FAC gun, the mod needs to be listed as an FAC itemised unit
IF going onto a sub 12ft/lb airgun, no paperwork required

That is THE LAW - and DOES APPLY to the same make/model

No real confusion with this - some of the sound mods I own even have stickers on the box that confirm the above
Sales literature likewise confirmed it

Simply if this is a rimfire mod and is off ticket - it is illegal

Do not get involved and i would advise your friend of such too and hand it in

I don't think that's the case.

The licensing of sound moderators is a bit of an enigma. I have a .22lr and a moderator. They're listed separately on my FAC; the rifle by name, model, calibre and serial number, and the mod simply as "sound moderator" - no details of make, model or serial number (there isn't one). My certificate was renewed in April and the officer who processed the documentation was quite happy with that.

I bought the rifle in the normal way; the mod I bought separately without any requirement to show my FAC. 

Since moderators have a certain "universality" inasmuch as the Parker Hale previously mentioned can quite legitimately be fitted to a .22lr or an .22 sub-12 air-rifle, then the granting of "sound moderator" on an FAC is less about authority to possess than it is about authority to use in conjunction with the firearm(s) with which it is associated.

That's the view taken by my licensing authority, anyway.

7 minutes ago, saddler said:

A sound moderator ONLY takes the condition of the gun it is to be fitted on:

IF going onto an FAC gun, the mod needs to be listed as an FAC itemised unit
IF going onto a sub 12ft/lb airgun, no paperwork required

That is THE LAW - and DOES APPLY to the same make/model

No real confusion with this - some of the sound mods I own even have stickers on the box that confirm the above
Sales literature likewise confirmed it

What about a 2nd hand mod? If someone has a .22 mod on their firearms cert can they sell it to someone for their sub-12ft/lb air gun to be held off cert?

If you can, does that mean you could remove a .22 mod from your own FAC if you only want to use in on an air rifle?

1 minute ago, Windswept said:

What about a 2nd hand mod? If someone has a .22 mod on their firearms cert can they sell it to someone for their sub-12ft/lb air gun to be held off cert?

If you can, does that mean you could remove a .22 mod from your own FAC if you only want to use in on an air rifle?

yes
yes
....it's not a difficult concept.

11 hours ago, Windswept said:

No, but worth knowing. I'm still a bit unsure why it needs to be on the cert in the first place.

Yes, the "law" surrounding moderators is a bit pointless really and costs a lot of money to administer.

It also (IMO) adds unneccesary cost to the device.

Back to the point, if the moderator is of all metal construction (inside and out) then it would be safe to use on a .22 rimfire rifle. However, as everyone has said, unless it is on your FAC then it is against the law to fit it to your rimfire rifle.

On 28/05/2021 at 22:17, Windswept said:

I wouldn't call a moderator lethal, a hammer would be more of a concern. And a mod can be owned without a FAC so I don't understand your point.

The gun would be the lethal side of my point the low detection the mod, a combination that can become worrying to some, put it on a rimmi it needs declaring same kind of thing on a sub12 air rifle no so but the potency differs hence the law being different, air on the side of caution it maybe fine but If you own both and its not declared a problem comes into play if used on a rimmi before your ownership it would have powder residue and even if its on an air rifle if ever inspected and the residue detected it would suggest use and I'm sure you get the gravity of how that may play out for you.

1 hour ago, Chaz25 said:

The gun would be the lethal side of my point the low detection the mod, a combination that can become worrying to some, put it on a rimmi it needs declaring same kind of thing on a sub12 air rifle no so but the potency differs hence the law being different, air on the side of caution it maybe fine but If you own both and its not declared a problem comes into play if used on a rimmi before your ownership it would have powder residue and even if its on an air rifle if ever inspected and the residue detected it would suggest use and I'm sure you get the gravity of how that may play out for you.

I'm not suggesting for someone to not follow the law. But your point about a rimfire mod worrying some people I don't understand. Surely the only thing to worry about is when people are breaking the law and if someone is going to do that they're not going to care if a mod is only meant to be used on an air rifle.

2 minutes ago, Windswept said:

I'm not suggesting for someone to not follow the law. But your point about a rimfire mod worrying some people I don't understand. Surely the only thing to worry about is when people are breaking the law and if someone is going to do that they're not going to care if a mod is only meant to be used on an air rifle.

No its fine, I know you were not suggesting anything untoward , the thing I was trying to get across was why a mod needs declaring, or maybe I should put it why dose the law need this declared? why do those that make the law require this, what makes this combination need regulation? how dose it become more dangerous? Your right if someone wants to break the law they wont care, so if that's true and laws are to control i guess in a basic way things that are of power or powerful what is it about the simple suppression of sound that needs a law?

On 28/05/2021 at 20:36, saddler said:

yes
yes
....it's not a difficult concept.

I believe that is true, this is my view.

No = If the mod is on your FAC then it can only be removed by it being sold to an RFD who could then sell it on for air and remove it from the register.

Possibly = If the air rifle is yours provided the use complies with the law regarding location, if the air rifle is someone else's then No because it is a firearm component.

Strangely a few years ago the threads on my parker hale mod (fitted to my old air rifle) were getting worn so advertised in the wanted section on here for just the outer tube,month or thereabouts  later this appeared in the wanted section rules

Only FAC (on licence) moderators can be advertised as "Wanted" in this section.

Just to add since the introduction of the air weapon licence  up here only licence holders can buy a mod