Whats the lightest load 410 cartridge that's available

I have two Belgian Folders that I am in the process of cleaning up and would like to put them to a little light use just for the sake of being able to when finished,

Both are in pretty good condition and wouldn't dream of live firing anything that wasn't

The oldest one is approx 1924 and marked as being 12mm the other approx 1952 marked 410- 65

Eley 2" fourteen 9gm No6 are the lightest I have and cant find anything lighter out there, short of reloading is there any lighter 410 cartridges anyone knows of.

1 hour ago, Keith RW said:

Eley 2" fourteen 9gm No6 are the lightest I have and cant find anything lighter out there, short of reloading is there any lighter 410 cartridges anyone knows of.

Just Cartridges list a Lyalvale Express Supreme 2″.410 8gr load of No 9 shot.

As mentioned previously, I've accidentality put a 3" magnum load through my 2 1/2" old Belgium folding gun, which I would politely describe as poor condition, without problems so I know mine can cope with lighter loads.

2 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Just Cartridges list a Lyalvale Express Supreme 2″.410 8gr load of No 9 shot.

As mentioned previously, I've accidentality put a 3" magnum load through my 2 1/2" old Belgium folding gun, which I would politely describe as poor condition, without problems so I know mine can cope with lighter loads.

Recently read a post regards one for sale with a dealer that had been through a Birmingham proof house and stamped accordingly so like yourself I'm pretty confident having stripped and serviced them so far that they are both up to it but will keep to the 2" cartridges with the "12mm" and 2 1/2"cartridges with the "410" and not push the boundaries.

I use 2" 9gram for rats and my youngest grandson uses the same for clays and static targets. 

My local RFD in Sheffield always has them in stock. £5.00 a box.

2" 9gram also kill squirrels easily.

Moving up to 2 1/2" 14gram, grandson has also killed a crow in flight.

As they say, if it's in the pattern......

9 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I use 2" 9gram for rats and my youngest grandson uses the same for clays and static targets. 

My local RFD in Sheffield always has them in stock. £5.00 a box.

2" 9gram also kill squirrels easily.

Moving up to 2 1/2" 14gram, grandson has also killed a crow in flight.

As they say, if it's in the pattern......

cheers CP, which RFD in Sheffield

On 28/05/2021 at 19:14, Keith RW said:

The oldest one is approx 1924 and marked as being 12mm the other approx 1952 marked 410- 65

The latter is 2 1\2 inch and sounds modern proof so cartridges should not be an issue but please post pictures of proof marks to confirm, the former 12mm is chamber width, please post pics of proof marks as you will need to look for 50mm if 2 inch marking or check the chamber depth, but it could be 2 inch or possibly 2 1\2 .

To access the proof marks, you may need to unscrew and remove the front grips,  if not on the barrel flats.

Unless showing significant barrel pitting etc, most 410s were often only lightly used and pressure difference between 50mm and 65mm is negligible, it is the 76mm where pressures ramp up with 18g+.

Bear in mind 2inch and 2.5inch 410 normal maximum operating pressure is equivalent to 12b 3inch Magnum and most post WWI guns were built to take this... whilst it is only recently with the 12b 3.5inch magnum that 12b is now operating at 410 3inch magnum pressures.

If you are going 2 inch, no9 (eg Lyalvale express) is the way to go.

If both guns are 2.5inch, I would go no7.5, no8, or no9 (eg Eley Trap),

Overall small shot size is the key.

Note just seen other thread on proof marks!  🤔

Edited by Stonepark