Jump to content

Petrol strummer wire


pork chop
 Share

Recommended Posts

I use stihls 3.2mm and 2.8mm (round red line) at work but that's coming out of the beast fs460c. Pretty effective upto about 1/2 inch bramble stems. In the battery junk we use 2.8mm and tbh it's not bad stuff, well it's the reason we use it. Can't remember the brand tho. I'll find out. 

I've tried all sorts in my line of work, dozens of kinds, brands, colours and shapes, as I literally strim for 6 hours a day in the summer and the one I hate the most is square of any brand. Some swear by it but It vibrates at high rpm and gives me havs. Also I use roughly 300 meters a month (we buy proper bulk now in kms now, tho stocks are low atm😅) so loosing a fair bit is expected if going near stones, wire, stakes ect ect 

If your not desperate, drop me a pm, I'll pop into work and grab you some to try and pop it in the post next week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I use stihls 3.2mm and 2.8mm (round red line) at work but that's coming out of the beast fs460c. Pretty effective upto about 1/2 inch bramble stems. In the battery junk we use 2.8mm and tbh it's not bad stuff, well it's the reason we use it. Can't remember the brand tho. I'll find out. 

I've tried all sorts in my line of work, dozens of kinds, brands, colours and shapes, as I literally strim for 6 hours a day in the summer and the one I hate the most is square of any brand. Some swear by it but It vibrates at high rpm and gives me havs. Also I use roughly 300 meters a month (we buy proper bulk now in kms now, tho stocks are low atm😅) so loosing a fair bit is expected if going near stones, wire, stakes ect ect 

If your not desperate, drop me a pm, I'll pop into work and grab you some to try and pop it in the post next week

Fantastic  offer , well done you 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I use stihls 3.2mm and 2.8mm (round red line) at work but that's coming out of the beast fs460c. Pretty effective upto about 1/2 inch bramble stems. In the battery junk we use 2.8mm and tbh it's not bad stuff, well it's the reason we use it. Can't remember the brand tho. I'll find out. 

I've tried all sorts in my line of work, dozens of kinds, brands, colours and shapes, as I literally strim for 6 hours a day in the summer and the one I hate the most is square of any brand. Some swear by it but It vibrates at high rpm and gives me havs. Also I use roughly 300 meters a month (we buy proper bulk now in kms now, tho stocks are low atm😅) so loosing a fair bit is expected if going near stones, wire, stakes ect ect 

If your not desperate, drop me a pm, I'll pop into work and grab you some to try and pop it in the post next week

Cheers buddy 

I’m using 3 mm n just snaps 

only bnq stuff though ,n thank you I’ll pm you later 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

I use stihls 3.2mm and 2.8mm (round red line) at work but that's coming out of the beast fs460c. Pretty effective upto about 1/2 inch bramble stems. In the battery junk we use 2.8mm and tbh it's not bad stuff, well it's the reason we use it. Can't remember the brand tho. I'll find out. 

I've tried all sorts in my line of work, dozens of kinds, brands, colours and shapes, as I literally strim for 6 hours a day in the summer and the one I hate the most is square of any brand. Some swear by it but It vibrates at high rpm and gives me havs. Also I use roughly 300 meters a month (we buy proper bulk now in kms now, tho stocks are low atm😅) so loosing a fair bit is expected if going near stones, wire, stakes ect ect 

If your not desperate, drop me a pm, I'll pop into work and grab you some to try and pop it in the post next week

With a PW name like that I'd definitely take your advise 😂😂😂👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheap trimmer line tends to snap and not wear.    We use sthil 2.4 mm for edging and cutting grass just depends what you are cutting and power of the machine 

As said before better with round line     Triangular or square vibrates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, tiny tim said:

Cheap trimmer line tends to snap and not wear.    We use sthil 2.4 mm for edging and cutting grass just depends what you are cutting and power of the machine 

As said before better with round line     Triangular or square vibrates

Round should be mechanically superior but I lack the word power to explain why that is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Round should be mechanically superior but I lack the word power to explain why that is. 

something to do with square area versus round area ...and themo dinamics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Round should be mechanically superior but I lack the word power to explain why that is. 

I don't know, it would be stronger as there would be more physical area of wire, I would think something triangular would act like a blade and be more effective at cutting the grass, but I don't know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A none round shape would be more efficient at cutting , but would have weaker areas (corners) , round cable should be of equal strength , no matter what angle the impact is at ( theoretically ).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't matter what your using, if your at full chat and hit some wire or any other sharp edge it's breaking off. I personally think it's all a gimic, same as lures to a fisherman. Plain old simple works everytime, just some have soft line some don't. When I was tight and idiotic I'd use earth cable as it was big strong copper wire. Until it stretched and broke, swiping my calf on the way past. I was lucky, no stitches needed but my boss at work has a 3inch scar from connecting with rusty barb wire and the (proper) line and barbs swiped his face when it all went off leaving a huge gash needing stitches. 

4 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

With a PW name like that I'd definitely take your advise 😂😂😂👍

Ironic isn't it 😅 i had it before I decided to go down this route of work, mainly to do with **** haircuts 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used shakespear square it was round black line with yellow triangular bits bonded on to make it square and sharp. Cut well but as strimmer said vibrates and makes a hell of a sound too.

Can't find the roll I have of it so had to buy some cheapo round stuff but it works ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to have trouble with our stihl of certain cable almost getting hot and then breaking.  Since using stihls better quality the problem seems to have gone away

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...