DSC 1

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

For those of you that have done DSC 1 ... was it worth doing? 

I am aware it won’t open any doors into stalking land lol. 

I did it twenty years ago, after stalking for twelve years and did DSC2 three months later.
Yes, I think most people will learn from it, some more than others. 
Thinking back, I didn’t actually do the DSC1 course but just took the tests.
For certain, it won’t close any doors to stalking land. 
Today, you need a DSC2 before you can lease FC land. 
I would say do it Lloyd, I am sure you would enjoy the experience.

I also felt it was worth doing. I purchased the BDS course book and CD and went through everything before going on the course. I could then spend my time on the course listening to everyone without any worry about the exam. I ended up learning a more from everyone rather than just the course.

I was also a little surprised to see the people who struggled a little, including with the rifle test, were those who'd been stalking for a while and now needed the qualification.

Edited by Windswept

This may not apply to you, but I would recommend any beginner to do a couple of pro guided trips beforehand as everything will make a lot more sense. If you are not already a rifle shooter, then a bit of practice helps - even shooting an air rifle off two bamboos in the back garden.

There will be some very knowledgeable folk around, so get the most out of them for your time and money and enjoy the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

In a nut shell I would say yes. I took mine last September through the NGO with no stalking experience and found it very informative, species, cycles, patterns and what to look for in the gralloch.  The course training material was clear and ran in parallel with the classroom stuff.

In addition I signed up to a 1 month DSC 1 training package with the BDS, which was about £10. This helped me personally cement the knowledge and gave one an outlook on what to expect in the examinations. Although useful for me I wouldn't say this is essential for more experience individuals.

I couldn't comment if it helped with my subsequent variation for a .243 but it came through. 

DSC1 is like reading the manual on a new machine before starting to use it, some folk will inevitably dismiss it as not necessary. I really enjoyed my course and learned plenty.

Having DSC1 and a couple of stalks booked takes away any reason to be refused a deer rifle. You do not need your own permission - even though some forces try to make this a condition many stalkers only ever go on paid outings.

I would recommend a couple of stalks with an experienced guide after DSC1 so that you can learn to gralloch well and not ruin your first carcasses. DSC1 does not teach you how to gralloch and DSC2 tests that you can gralloch - yet DMQ have failed to recognise this shortfall for decades which is a shame.

3 hours ago, 243deer said:

DSC1 is like reading the manual on a new machine before starting to use it, some folk will inevitably dismiss it as not necessary. I really enjoyed my course and learned plenty.

Having DSC1 and a couple of stalks booked takes away any reason to be refused a deer rifle. You do not need your own permission - even though some forces try to make this a condition many stalkers only ever go on paid outings.

I would recommend a couple of stalks with an experienced guide after DSC1 so that you can learn to gralloch well and not ruin your first carcasses. DSC1 does not teach you how to gralloch and DSC2 tests that you can gralloch - yet DMQ have failed to recognise this shortfall for decades which is a shame.

Good post Sir!

And a very good point about the gralloching instruction.

The ds1 can be very dependent upon the person who presents the day 

my experience of it wasn’t overly good 

the presentation was given by the most boring gentleman who seemed to want to tell us more about his exploits from 30 years ago than the relevant information required to pass the test 

having read the book and watched the dvd prior to the course I was a tad disappointed in the whole affair the person presenting the course can make or break it in my opinion I’m not sure what skill transference qualifications a ds1 presenter has to have?

however it was a requirement to attend for the grant of a deer caliber rifle at the time 

im sure it will have improved since the one I attended