Mod change, catch up, shooting

Mice!

So the weather was spot on and I'd invited @mick.c over, he was wanting to try his FTs that he's recently switched to at a bit of a further range.
He turned up and we had a chin wag for an hour like a couple of old women, he'd also turned up with a new insert for his R10 mod, saying the white one was .22, he's had a couple of different sizes made and using a smaller size has brought his groups right down, happy days.

So we got down to some shooting, target set up at 25m and Mick shot the first mag, for the second I went down range, out the way and perfectly safe and listened, all I could hear was a zip noise, like a wasp going past, and the slight impact noise on the target, then just off to the side, Mick was shooting from in the garage leaning on a bench and towel, all I could hear was a slight cough noise, didn't sound like someone shooting, he shot some tidy little groups as well making one nice hole around 10mm:cool:, we then repeated this with me shooting and Mick doing the listening.

After this we did the same thing with my R10, first with the original mod, then changing it for the Decimeter mod I bought a while ago, I hadn't changed it because I wanted to do this test, it's a touch shorter and a mil wider but nothing much in it, we both thought it was a bit quieter so its staying on. Again from the side it was just a cough noise, Mick said standing behind me it was noticeably different :)

With the new mod I was hitting about 10 mil left, moved the scope 5 clicks and it was blob on.

We then checked both guns on the chrono, Micks was sitting at 11ft/lbs giving around 4 or 5 fps spread, mine was doing 11.5-11.6 ft/lbs as usual.

So Mick popped over and was here for 3hrs :D:D😄😄 later on Mrs mouse said she was starting tea, kids were happy and busy so I sneaked out wanting to put a couple more mags through the gun, and push the range a touch more to make sure things are good with the new mod.

Set up for 25mtrs, 13mm red dot using JSB Heavies, on ten mag. I was shooting off the bench and towel again but had managed to support my right elbow as well which made things feel better, two shots.
20210529_183715.jpg.e4a50f1d0122cb04457d233c716035b6.jpg
I was happy with that, and I wasn't about to spoil it.
Moved it back to 31m and went again, two shots

20210529_183727.jpg.502308191db731296a834c8acb70420c.jpg

I'm zeroed at 25m but it was blob on at 31m, I've got a nice big smile on my face at this point :)

Moved it back a touch more, 34m about the most I can get from this position without trying to move things around.

20210529_183808.jpg.e469454886e59efe894dc1b2c178f5fc.jpg

pictures should be horizontal, I'd have very much liked a mildot, the duplex ret goes thick and thin and I was using it half way along the thin point for holdover, slight breeze pushed a couple of shots right, without the holdover I was getting about a 10mm drop which still isn't bad.
Not as good as the other ranges but not bad, higher mag would help along with mildots but I was very happy with the two mags before tea.

fair to say I was feeling it today 😁

Interesting that.  I know that my AA S200 sounds like a car crashing to my right ear when it goes off but the loudest noise outside the hide is the impact of the pellet.  I honestly don't know what mod is fitted I just..being a mean old sod.... bought the cheapest one they had.  Shot three magpies today and had a bunch in the trees right above me creating a whole load of noise but the rifle going off did not spook them, so I think the mod on my rifle works pretty well.  I purchased this Mk2 AA S 200 second hand and have shot a whole load of pellets through it since but if I do my bit it will put them all in the same hole at 20yrds. 

Hello tagether ,do you shoot jsb heavies in your r10 all the while ?,I use them when a bit windy but usually use 8.4 all the other times . I have a shrouded barrel on mine don't know if it makes any difference?.Nice to see you boys are sticking with the old R10 good bit of kit.

11 minutes ago, Morkin said:

Hello tagether ,do you shoot jsb heavies in your r10 all the while ?,I use them when a bit windy but usually use 8.4 all the other times . I have a shrouded barrel on mine don't know if it makes any difference?.Nice to see you boys are sticking with the old R10 good bit of kit.

I'm  just using heavies,  it likes the 8.44s just as well but I found the heavies kill better, Mick had some bother with the heavies he had, comparing them today mine look cleaner with better skirts, just more uniform, and I've got 13 tins so I'll be using them for a while now.

50 minutes ago, figgy said:

Biggest trouble with some mods is they can ruin a good tight grouping pellet.

I check all mine without mod and then with mid fitted. Some can improve the group stripping dirty air and also quieten the bark very well 

The baffling in the hogun definitely seemed more professional looking than the standard BSA mod, I've read before about a well made mod tightening things up stripping the air like you say.

Wouldn't have thought of a mod ruining a group unless it was clipping or badly fitted.

Mice I've had it with one I made, it ruined the grouping of the guns favourite pellets.

All it was down to was the way I'd chamfered the back of the baffles like a orifice plate so as the air passed through it could expand into the next chamber and so on.

It worked brilliantly on the .22 impact, was dire on the .177 impact.

Only difference is the pulse pressure of air and pellet size.

I need to make more baffles and experiment more 😬