Bad back

flippermaj

Time and abuse has caught up with my back which is making standard car driving positions somewhat painful whatever setting I have the seat\wheel  at.

Vans, eg transit, transporter etc are far more comfortable for me as they have a better driving position.   Does anyone know of any cars\MPVs etc that may have a van like driving position?

Cheers  Flipper

16 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Time and abuse has caught up with my back which is making standard car driving positions somewhat painful whatever setting I have the seat\wheel  at.

Vans, eg transit, transporter etc are far more comfortable for me as they have a better driving position.   Does anyone know of any cars\MPVs etc that may have a van like driving position?

Cheers  Flipper

Nearest one I have found is the Ford Kuga. Very easy to get in and out of too. Would have one tomorrow if I had the money.

My old Fiat doblo. Comfiest van I ever drove, used to do 250miles without stopping and I'm 6'6'' with a fairly screwed back/hip. Can't see why the vauxhall/fiat mpv version would be any different. 

I stopped driving cars after the xtrail. That used to kill me after a hour. I drive a transit connect now, its not great but better than most cars. 

I'm the mug that bought a Mazda 2 and didn't realise that the steering column can't be adjusted for reach. Up and down yes. Length not! I use an insert between by back and the seat. This can be anything to hand from a hot water bottle filled with hot, or cold, water to a rolled up garment to a small cushion from a charity shop to even. yes, a book!

Thanks for the feedback so far   Centrepin, I replacement seat may help a bit but I find the problem is the geometry of the seat\steering wheel\pedals in cars.   Proper Vans and HGVs have a much more sit up and beg driving position with your legs bent at 90 degress  (or there abouts) at the knee and the thigh level with the hip bone if that makes sense!

Any one tried the Peugeot Partner?

Honda CRV has very good seats

4 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Thanks for the feedback so far   Centrepin, I replacement seat may help a bit but I find the problem is the geometry of the seat\steering wheel\pedals in cars.   Proper Vans and HGVs have a much more sit up and beg driving position with your legs bent at 90 degress  (or there abouts) at the knee and the thigh level with the hip bone if that makes sense!

Any one tried the Peugeot Partner?

Don't touch Peugeot Partner, the seats sag after a few years .Till in the end you have your bum on the floor. 

The trouble with replacement seats is its an expensive lottery. You buy then you try

Like I said before, go to Honda, test drive a CRV it will cost you nothing for a test drive. I bought one last year from our local main agent, three years old, 11,000 on the clock £15,950. ex Motorbility its like a new car, they had six to choose from. Its been faultless. And Honda aftersales has been really good, bought the OH a Honda Jazz too

For many years I drove Mercedes but now I have discovered Honda I am a convert . My back is "difficult" going back to rugby and motorcycle injuries years ago. 

Edited by Vince Green

Heated seats are great, have those in my current Mitsubishi ASX.  

I have had a bad back on and off like most do and it would usually sort itself after a week or so.  However since Sept 1st 2020 it has never recovered, lower back pain left side around SI joint and across to hip bone.  Some times it moves to the right side but only for half a day or so.  I drive trucks half the week and do manual handling of loads.  Car is sore and sore to get in and out of truck not to bad.

Seen 2 NHS physios, 1 private physio and 2 chiropractors and still it's knackered.   I can still work but have top be careful and there is always niggling pain

Apart from that I am fit and healthy\active.  Did 2 months of NHS physio program, 30 min am and 30 min pm 6 days a week, zip all result.  Tried Mackenzie stuff but that made my mid section sore.  Now doing McGill big 3, do 20 birdogs each side hold each one for 10 secs, 20 side planks each side hold for 10 again  and 20 curl ups.  Two weeks on that but no change.

The annoying thing is on 3 occasions something has "popped" or moved in my back and it has made an instant improvement but it doesn't last.  Twice it moved while I was just cruising down the A9 in a truck and the first time when I went for a run.  Not sure what moves but it's not painful just a sudden quick jolt that starts in the lower back or sacrium and you feel it down the thigh bone.!