Strap on

Mr.C

OK calm down..... 

I'm after a recommendation for a strap on gel pad. I've acquired a 1906 smle with a brass butt plate. My collar bone tells a story. That story is currently yellow and green. 25 rounds of PPU's finest left me battered and bruised but grinning. 

I've seen the Jack pike ones but they just look like a suede shoulder patch. I'm after something with a gel insert that'll let me shoot all day. (targets).

Pointers please. 

Tia

12 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

OK calm down..... 

I'm after a recommendation for a strap on gel pad. I've acquired a 1906 smle with a brass butt plate. My collar bone tells a story. That story is currently yellow and green. 25 rounds of PPU's finest left me battered and bruised but grinning. 

I've seen the Jack pike ones but they just look like a suede shoulder patch. I'm after something with a gel insert that'll let me shoot all day. (targets).

Pointers please. 

Tia

Something like this?

https://www.musto.com/en_GB/d3o-recoil-shield/80010.html

Try a search for a 'Caldwell Recoil Shield (magnum version?). Designed for shooting from the bench.

Had one from Cabelas once but do not know a current local supplier.

Alternatively have a look on one of the Fullbore sites.

Vaquely remember another brand was Past (?)

Edited by seeker
Memory

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

My point was that not many soldiers asked for a pad in 1914!

Our trick as small cadets was to insert the folded beret inside the woolly pully to help absorb some of the kick
I was of a size that not only was it difficult to keep the No.4 on target, I'd be bounced rearward somewhat by the recoil
Every few shots they'd drag me back to the firing line

I have a slip on pad that I'll try and it's long enough that I can add some cork sheet packers. 

As for soldiers in 1914? I'm sure they we're made of sterner stuff than a 60yr old with bony collar bones. Also I doubt they spent much time in the trenches shooting prone in a t-shirt on a baking hot sunny day.

Plus, I feel having jonny foreigner shooting back may have adjusted their priorities somewhat. 

Thanks for all your replies 

The "trick" was that the SMLE and the No4 had three butt lengths available. The standard length and the short and long length (marked S and L respectively at the heel). There was also for the SMLE a "bantam butt" for those soldiers in battalions consisting on "bantam" men who were below the pre-WWI height requirement. These battalions of "bantam" men were not a success apparently. So there was no "trick" just gun fitting of the rifle with the correct butt length to the soldier. For at that time the soldier had his rifle individually issued to him which he alone then took "ownership" of.

Edited by enfieldspares