Decathlon has gone anti

Just tried to buy some decoys and discovered that Decathlon have sided with the antis and removed all shooting (‘hunting’) equipment from sale in the UK (except for clay shooting). No more hide poles or cheap decoying equipment. 

Apparently this was caused by a single tweet. We advised their translator on PW that the laws in UK are different but looks like expanding their range was their undoing, listing items that do not conform with UK law (live woodpigeon decoy stools and thrush shooting equipment). 

I have bought a few bits for clay shooting and its cracking value and very good quality. I also used to get to Spain a lot (before covid) . There is a decathalon branch in most towns. In my local one they also sell cartridges and they do a branded 28gm 7.5 plaswad  which last time I was over was £143 per 1000 . The cheapest UK equivalent at that time i could find were eley select at £178  

I've just read half a dozen or so of their blog posts.  Yes, they make some "points" but to me it's always overflowing with emotional knee-jerk personal opinions, rather than matter-of-fact information which can be held up and proven.

The trouble is, these kind of organisations are unopposed putting out whatever blinkered, biased propaganda they care to, thus gaining publicity and influence more and more every day.  They have no adversary.

6 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I've just read half a dozen or so of their blog posts.  Yes, they make some "points" but to me it's always overflowing with emotional knee-jerk personal opinions, rather than matter-of-fact information which can be held up and proven.

The trouble is, these kind of organisations are unopposed putting out whatever blinkered, biased propaganda they care to, thus gaining publicity and influence more and more every day.  They have no adversary.

Agree 

Hello, you would have thought those who work on the Decathlon UK web site make sure no details referencing other countries shooting ways but how many countries in the EU where the shooting of song birds still goes on, and I am sure everyone in the UK finds this not acceptable, Back a few years Decathlon UK made an error with their web site listing cartridges, I wonder how the BBC will view this on Mr Armstrong but good for him to have his say 👍

It’s par for the course now unfortunately, and becoming more common. Some gun dealers and companies have been dropped by financial services such as PayPal, Barclays etc etc. 
It’s not necessarily an anti stance by them, but fear of losing income from big money companies which ARE anti, like Lush and others. 

I think it is important that we all offer Decathlon (and any other business being bullied) support and confidence to keep selling ‘hunting’ goods. 

I have just emailed Decathlon to say that I have bought some of their excellent hunting equipment / clothing recently and would like to continue doing so etc…… (I have genuinely bought some pretty good stuff from them by the way)

If they feel under pressure from the trolls and bunny huggers, I think they need to feel an equal and opposite support ‘pour les chasseurs’. Imagine if their email box was swamped with support messages. It only takes a few seconds: customer.enquiries@decathlon.com

I think we have to remain vigilant and proactive - as individuals and as a collective - if we are to prevent the antis gaining too much traction. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I have just emailed Decathlon to say that I have bought some of their excellent hunting equipment / clothing recently and would like to continue doing so etc……

Ermm, you did check the website beforehand?

'country sports'   -  Seems to be a better description anyway as it then is more inclusive to other folks (twitchers, survivalist types and the like).  And that's marketing's idea of inclusivity, not woke-ry.

Edited to say can't appear to make the link take you directly to the country sports section of the website, but type 'country sports' into the search box.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

57 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Ermm, you did check the website beforehand?

'country sports'   -  Seems to be a better description anyway as it then is more inclusive to other folks (twitchers, survivalist types and the like).  And that's marketing's idea of inclusivity, not woke-ry.

Edited to say can't appear to make the link take you directly to the country sports section of the website, but type 'country sports' into the search box.

Thanks for that - yes funnily enough I did check their site. My point is more about supporting them to use the word ‘hunting’ and not regard it as a dirty word - I.e not to be cowed by a few bunny huggers. 

Have just received this response. Looks like it’s still under consideration. A few more emails of encouragement might help……!

“Thank you for reaching us!

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Our website has been updated recently. 

We have removed all the hunting items from our website. 

That's the reason you are unable to find the category.  

We are in discussion about it.  If there are any new updates in future we will update it.  

I will also take your feedback and forward it to the appropriate team.

Please let us know if you have any issues.

Have a great day:)”

I happened to be in Francis Lovells once when Alexander Armstrong was in there collecting a couple of guns. 

A local old boy walked in and said to AA “you look familiar. Don’t I know you from somewhere.” Thinking he’d seen him locally around and not realising he was on the tele. 

AA replied something like “you may have seen me on TV - I present a couple of shows.” 

We all had a chortle and he went up in my estimations. Seemed like a very decent fellow.