bit of bother

So........A lad my eldest son was best friends went off the rails a few years ago.

he used to stay at our house most weekends and come clay shooting.

FFW..........

son hasnt seen him for years, but he's gone off the rails and see's here as his safe space.

had the police here to remove him at all hours of the day and night.

Myself and the wife have had little sleep in the last few weeks.

Hes been arrested/sectioned under mental health and let out.

He escaped whilst in custody and tried to throw him self off a building in Darlington.

Firearms are now involved 3 weeks down the  line just incase he gets the keys.

so.....due to not paying for BASC can anyone suggest a decent shooting related solicitor 

Durham/TYNESIDE/NORTHYORKSHIRE

I agree with Fern01, store with RFD, a friend with a licence or at the Clay club?

If you are seen to be proactive and have taken precautions in this difficult situation, I cannot see that Firearms can have any objection. Unless they are implying that you are unfit to hold a gun because of your association with this lad. In that case you will probably need legal assistance.

Good luck

13 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

If they're firearms get them to your RFD this morning and put in storage and if its just shotguns get them to your mates cabinet today. They won't hesitate to take them off you for your own protection! 

Cheers for the replies and all have been  taken on board.

Normally would have been insured with club membership,but due to covid and the shoot not being on 🙄

Police were here tonight (late) to ask a few questions and make sure everything was in the cabinets and not under the bed.

You need to be extremely proactive with this situation. As has been suggested, get your firearms into RFD storage now and as Brno22fr has said make it clear to the lad and everyone else involved that he is not to come to your home or associate with our son in any way whatsoever. 

If he comes round, call the police immediately and have him removed from your property. You may wish to consider obtaining a court injunction against him.

Give https://www.brabners.com/services/regulatory/firearms-law a call.

RFD is a bit of a problem.

I'd be working all week to pay the storage fees.(I have more than several)

Police are concerned that I didn't inform them of my cancer diagnosis 2 years ago and think I might do something silly.

Have had the all clear for the last year and have a recent letter from the consultant to back this up.A recent visit by the police asked to take a picture of the letter.

Stepped up CCTV and the alarm system.At significant personal cost.

Installed a digital key pad on the door before getting to the cabinets.

I'm willing to measure up and clad the already secure area with 3mm steel.

Quite willing to spot weld the doors closed on the cabinets until this is resolved.

All been quiet for a few nights, until last night.

Phone call 00.30.

"Davey lad I'm in a door way around the corner"

Nice eh?

Police called and did attend.

He was arrested yet again (due to be released tonight) after wrecking his mothers house for a second or third time. Windows/furniture,electricals and the such.

He lives with his mam about 300 years away.

Court order is now in motion and due to the police perusing harassment against us it should go through without any problems.

By all accounts, he has been arrested and released 15 times in the last month,4 times he was detained in a mental institution and released usually within 24 hours .

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

4 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

RFD is a bit of a problem.

I'd be working all week to pay the storage fees.(I have more than several)

Police are concerned that I didn't inform them of my cancer diagnosis 2 years ago and think I might do something silly.

Have had the all clear for the last year and have a recent letter from the consultant to back this up.A recent visit by the police asked to take a picture of the letter.

Stepped up CCTV and the alarm system.At significant personal cost.

Installed a digital key pad on the door before getting to the cabinets.

I'm willing to measure up and clad the already secure area with 3mm steel.

Quite willing to spot weld the doors closed on the cabinets until this is resolved.

All been quiet for a few nights, until last night.

Phone call 00.30.

"Davey lad I'm in a door way around the corner"

Nice eh?

Police called and did attend.

He was arrested yet again (due to be released tonight) after wrecking his mothers house for a second or third time. Windows/furniture,electricals and the such.

He lives with his mam about 300 years away.

Court order is now in motion and due to the police perusing harassment against us it should go through without any problems.

By all accounts, he has been arrested and released 15 times in the last month,4 times he was detained in a mental institution and released usually within 24 hours .

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

Deal with those sorts of people daily. 

Despite the claims of some saying “failed by the system”, the law is clear, for someone to be detained into a Psychiatric hospital their has to be a need for assessment and a treatment plan. 

People who present as you described (often have a personality disorder) and there is no assessment or treatment for that, hence they just get discharged. It is not lawful for them to just be detained into a psyche hospital so they stop bothering people. 

He has been arrested multiple times because of his behaviour. These people usually have experienced a terrible trauma or upbringing, but are in control of their behaviour hence often end up being charged. 

The only advice I can offer you is stay away from them. 

There is no cure or treatment for this. The person can choose to engage and have therapy if wanted but often they don’t want to and don’t want to take any responsibility for how they behave. 

I would block all contact and stay well away. 

Im not quite sure why the Police would want to take your guns off you?!

Have you been letting this person stay in your house? 

The lad was my eldest sons best friend years ago and would regularly stay here over night.

You're correct with the traumatic childhood. His parents had a bad split up/divorce.

He was calling through the day and night.

Knocking on the door  at 1,2,3,4,5am  every night isn't good.

Edited by gotgcoalman

I've heard of similar cases going badly as far as continued ownership - one was the step-son or similar, lived at home and started getting into bad company - got arrested a few times. Certificate holder lost his tickets as they chose to try to support said kid, and was deemed a risk due to "access"
Another was a chap whose wife became really ill....certificate holder had his certificate allowances massively affected

Both were in our area

ETA: Sounds like you are doing the right thing in having zero contact & reporting any & all contact
The failings/shortcoming in your example isn't your security, etc, but the fact that the system has the lad bouncing around in & our of various custody suites/rooms with little chance of that changing anytime soon. Crime doesn't pay?....well it doesn't get the appropriate sentencing that it should either!

Edited by saddler

Feel sorry for you as how can you turn your back but do you think he will change as he as not over time. Do you want to really loose your ticket put it back onto to the police ask them how are they going to stop him coming to your home. You have to decide to cut all ties it is hard but you have a life to.