Workshop Roof

loriusgarrulus

I noticed the workshop roof had sprung a leak in one corner during the last downpours. Been waiting for a dry spell to get on it. Got 25 litres of fibre reinforced bitumastic roof paint. Finished the can this morning early before it got too hot. Just got a bit in the middle to do both sides that the long handled brush wouldn't reach. Got 2 more cans on order and a roof hook attachment for the ladders to reach the middle bit. One can should finish the workshop, but I ordered 2 as I noticed the roof on the shed next to it was looking about ready for coating too. Its dried nicely to a dull charcoal grey.

I was wearing gloves, but that stuff gets everywhere even down inside the gloves. 😡😡

Petrol will fetch bitumen off , then clean up after with some white spirit or similar, don't envy you the work, I just re-felted my workshop roof which was over 30 feet long by 10 feet wide, had to bitumen down all the edges and overlaps, then timber the edges , took me two days on my own and got covered in the black stuff, but at least the workshop is now bone dry, good for a few more years, 😁

IMG_20210605_112622.jpg

I had some clear lamp oil which I found removes bitumastic. (It also removes sticky label residue)

Pumice soap gets bitumastic off your skin with a bit of scrubbing. I put long sleeved rubber gloves on so there was only bitumastic to remove off my elbows and ankles. Why it got on my elbows I don't know as the overalls had long sleeves too. I even managed not to scratch my nose this time or move my glasses which was a minor miracle.

Thats a neat job of re-felting. I don't think I would be up to doing that. Its took me all my time to coat the existing felt tiles. The worst bit was getting back off the roof and onto the ladder.

4 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

Petrol will fetch bitumen off , then clean up after with some white spirit or similar, don't envy you the work, I just re-felted my workshop roof which was over 30 feet long by 10 feet wide, had to bitumen down all the edges and overlaps, then timber the edges , took me two days on my own and got covered in the black stuff, but at least the workshop is now bone dry, good for a few more years, 😁

IMG_20210605_112622.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I spent 17 years working at heights and the ladder used to access the roof should be about waist height above the edge which gives stability for the dismount , it also needs be tied to the roof ladder so it cant move sideways. When applying the type of coating you have used you should always start at the hardest to reach part first and work your way across to the access point.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

I spent 17 years working at heights and the ladder used to access the roof should be about waist height above the edge which gives stability for the dismount , it also needs be tied to the roof ladder so it cant move sideways. When applying the type of coating you have used you should always start at the hardest to reach part first and work your way across to the access point.

I painted all round the edges first as far as I could reach apart from where the ladder onto the roof was going for roof access as I had a stable base for a step ladder. This avoided spending much time on the actual roof at that point and the flat treads are better for my feet on the step ladder. I only went onto the roof when I had too, as I couldnt reach the top part with the long handled brush. Once I had to get onto the roof I did work back to the access point.

It never occured to my to tie the roof ladder and other ladder together as it was wedged against a wall at the bottom and with concrete blocks one the side and a garden store on the other. I will remember next time, although I think by the time it wants doing again I will get my Nephew in. He works for a small builder and has volunteered to help with anything I can't manage, so I am saving him till it is something I really cant manage as he is 80miles away and I don't want to overdo the helpless elderly female bit just yet.

23 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

IMG_20210605_112622.jpg

Very nice job on the felting….but what happens when the power company want to replace the pole that's sticking through the roof?

19 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

top respect to you yvonne , many people wouldnt have done what you have :good:.

Thankyou Mel. Its only because I am mean and object to paying someone a lot of cash for something I can do myself for a fraction of the price. I am saving the dosh for when it comes to something I can't do myself.

Today I have cleaned all the moss, dead leaves and rotting sour cherries from next doors tree off the shed roof. Ran dilute bleach across it from the hose to rinse off any residue. Now got to leave it to dry before I can bitumastic it.
This evening and next couple of days are predicting rain showers, so it might be a day or 2 before I can get on it. 

Edited by loriusgarrulus

11 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Thankyou Mel. Its only because I am mean and object to,paying someone a lot of cash for something I can do myself for a fraction of the price. I am saving the dosh for when it comes to something I can't do myself.

Today I have cleaned all the moss, dead leaves and rotting sour cherries from next doors tree off the shed roof. Ran dilute bleach across it from the hose to rinse off any residue. Now got to leave it to dry before I can bitumastic it.
This evening and next couple of days are predicting rain showers, so it might be a day or 2 before I can get on it. 

i also admire your meanness :lol:.  im exactly the same , i hate throwing money away on something that i can do myself.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Very nice job on the felting….but what happens when the power company want to replace the pole that's sticking through the roof?

We are not talking about that, they came to test the pole just after the roof was finished and were not impressed, he said he would report it but nothing came of it, if they kick off I will tell them to get their pole off my land.

10 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

It never occured to my to tie the roof ladder and other ladder together as it was wedged against a wall at the bottom and with concrete blocks one the side and a garden store on the other. I will remember next time, although I think by the time it wants doing again I will get my Nephew in. 

I commonly had a 35 foot ladder to a cat ladder and tying the ladder to the cat was the first thing I did then a fixing was made to the structure which the main ladder was then also tied to. I gave the job up in my early 40s when I started to loose my bottle, I`ve been on my own roof once in the last 16 years to do as you say save money to use for something I cant do.  By the way hats off to you :good: for climbing up there in the first place as my wife has difficulty climbing up a loft ladder. 

4 hours ago, sportsbob said:

I commonly had a 35 foot ladder to a cat ladder and tying the ladder to the cat was the first thing I did then a fixing was made to the structure which the main ladder was then also tied to. I gave the job up in my early 40s when I started to loose my bottle, I`ve been on my own roof once in the last 16 years to do as you say save money to use for something I cant do.  By the way hats off to you :good: for climbing up there in the first place as my wife has difficulty climbing up a loft ladder. 

The loft is way down the list of priorities. It is cram packed with junk that needs mainly chucking. The good point is that my Daughter wants to look for some stuff of hers that is up there, so I should get some help with that.

Checked the roof and this mornings coating had dried. Put the second coat on just now as the weather looks dubious for tomorrow.

I can roller the shed roof (12x8) in less than an hour. Shame the workshop roof is tile, as a roller won't get into the gaps. Its so much faster than using a brush.

• 4 weeks later...

Spoke too soon on the workshop roof. Went up to check in the height of the heavy rainstorm yesterday evening and there were a  couple of slow leaks coming through knot holes in the planking on the roof inside. Only one was dripping near machinery so I diverted it to the planking floor with a bit of plywood at an angle. It was dry this morning and I had bought another 25 litres just incase as I only put one coat on the workshop. I was intending a second coat before Autumn, but it went up to the top of the priority list. The shed I put 2 coats on was fine.

This time I used the 3 metre Harris extension pole and a deep pile shaggy roller which got into the tile gaps and managed the whole roof from the edges using the step ladders. Started at 10:30 am this morning once the roof was fully dry from last night. Had an hour rest for lunch. Finished at 2:30 pm, 3 hrs total. Hopefully that should do it.

Its not supposed to rain till 9pm tonight, but that sky doesn't look promising. Still no rain as yet though  :) .

20210705_143406.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus