Cows killing the planet! or not.

bluesj

Sure someone was looking for so info to give the vegan cult members near them this might help but everyone should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrhpThqlCo

As a side note I have never understood why people have a problem with food production industries greenhouse gas production but not so much with the holiday industry. I know that I can live without flying of on holiday for many many years not so sure I could live with out food for so long!

Edited to ad the link which was the whole purpose of this thread. Dou!

Edited by bluesj

The cows have been doing it for a very long time then. They really should try harder. Even in my childhood almost all farms in our area where mixed and had a herd of cattle.

It would be interesting to know if there are more cows today than back in the 40s and 50s.   There is a need to look at the human breeding numbers as it is humans which are plolluting the planet including the vegans having their choice of food shipped half way around the world.

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The cows have been doing it for a very long time then. They really should try harder. Even in my childhood almost all farms in our area where mixed and had a herd of cattle.

It would be interesting to know if there are more cows today than back in the 40s and 50s.   There is a need to look at the human breeding numbers as it is humans which are plolluting the planet including the vegans having their choice of food shipped half way around the world.

plus thier clothing and footwear is made from synthetics ie plastic, the cars they drive,or the public transport they use all produce more greenhouse gasses in manufacture and use than a cow in a field munching on grass and breaking wind .

Edited by derbyduck

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

There is a need to look at the human breeding numbers as it is humans which are plolluting the planet

/\ This.

There is a big, big elephant in the room - which no one wants to talk about - and that is that we are getting too many humans on the planet - and something has to give.  At present at a few under 8 billion, we are reducing forest and planting to grow more food ...... but that will introduce other problems as it upsets the natural balance of gasses in the atmosphere etc.

No one really knows how to tackle this - and so it gets ignored.

In my view the key point is this;

• The planet can support a population with a majority having (what we call) a good quality lifestyle - it might be perhaps 2 to 5 billion - no one really knows the figure but significantly less than we have now.  It is generally likely that could be stable long term as nature can support that sort of level if not under too much pressure  (We were at about 2 billion 100 years ago).
  • The planet can support a rather larger population with a relative few with good quality lifestyle and the majority with a slightly/significantly restricted lifestyle with some food and water shortages, some living in difficult conditions,  - it might be perhaps  about 8 billion - which is where we are now.  It is unlikely to be stable as nature will struggle to provide sufficient food, drinking water, comfortable living space etc.
  • The planet can support even more - if virtually everyone is prepared to cut back on lifestyle ad share resources around more - but it will be a much reduced 'lifestyle' for all.  Quite how many can be supported depends on what level of 'frugality' with resources they will accept.

So from all this - we can have a lower population in a stable way with a fairly high quality lifestyle living within basically renewable resources (food, energy etc.) .......... or a larger population where resources are stretched and shared - and we continue to take risks putting nature under extreme pressure - which may be unstable long term.

Fortunately for me, the majority of this will all come to a head past my lifetime ........ but the the signs are there to be seen.  In fact China has much reduced the rate of growth in their population - leading to a much older average population - with other problems from that.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

/

Fortunately for me, the majority of this will all come to a head past my lifetime ........ but the the signs are there to be seen.  In fact China has much reduced the rate of growth in their population - leading to a much older average population - with other problems from that.

Recently in China !  ...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-46558562 just seen how old this link is, heres a more recent..https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/china/china-three-child-policy-births-b1857001.html

Cows and grazing,  permanent pasture's are good for the environment .  feedlots arn't.. Its when the idiots lump them both together and want to ban all meat the problems start

27bittman.xlarge1.jpg.52a6d944e53de5dc7f52fa1d6c8575a0.jpg

Edited by islandgun

Before the immigrants eradicated them ,there were approx 60 million American buffalo so there have always been huge numbers of bovines back in time !

Not to mention what has been wiped out around the world in total .Its an invalid argument to say cattle are an issue .

3 minutes ago, matone said:

Its an invalid argument to say cattle are an issue .

I agree in principle - and used to use that idea myself - until I discovered the 60 million buffalo have been replaced by 94 million cattle .........

Edited by JohnfromUK

38 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I agree in principle - and used to use that idea myself - until I discovered the 60 million buffalo have been replaced by 94 million cattle .........

But there where around 100 million buffalo

foot and wiped out a lot of herds in this country    which have never been rebuilt  as farmers diversified or retired      take a drive     milk cows / beef cattle / sheep         mostly arable  mixed farming has gone so in a nutshell less animals than 30 years ago      human is the problem blame what cant speak 

There is probably (at least) the same number of deer and moose in America and Canada as there are cows. All vegetarian animals produce methane so why pick on cows?

Or is this a subversive attempt to undermine the industry rather than concern about the environment? 

27 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There is probably (at least) the same number of deer and moose in America and Canada as there are cows. All vegetarian animals produce methane so why pick on cows?

Or is this a subversive attempt to undermine the industry rather than concern about the environment? 

you have outlined why we should eat wild game and not farmed

On 03/06/2021 at 10:32, JohnfromUK said:

...There is a big, big elephant in the room....

Agree

Several in fact - methane producing veggie tofu burger eating knitted hemp wearing blue haired morbidly obese 420 smoking soap dodging pachouli oil reeking state benefit sponsored heffalumps
Known to travel in large packs - and I mean large - polluting their immediate vicinity with 100% BS & wrecking their home environment by their combined presence and the added bonus of the annual harvest of crotch fruit who are given free rein to do as they please without any supervision or control....

But NO - it's the moo cows to blame!