Tough And Tasteless Pork ?

marsh man

45 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I do believe a lot of the older gentleman on this forum are suffering from said affliction, probably from over exuberance in their youth without much protection. We are much more careful now. 

we could arrange a Pigeon Watch "group Pull"....................

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

It’s always more enjoyable with someone to pull for you, you keep both hands free and can concentrate on the bird more. 

it would be like a cross between the Football league and "its a knock one out".............and we will all be heading for the semi's   and the grand final....may be we could get a deal with Sky or someone

I am afraid our copyright claim may be weakened by prior art. There was a story from an army drop out a few years ago where if they failed a march in a specific time then they would have a version of Ditchy’s “It’s a Knock One Out” with the rest of the squad watching. The last one to finish was then “Django’d”. Not sure this last bit is very ITV Saturday-evening-prime-time so instead of the Django part we could have a smart trophy for the winner and a nice badge for the runners up.

Edited by WalkedUp

22 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I am afraid our copyright claim may be weakened by prior art. There was a story from an army drop out a few years ago where if they failed a march in a specific time then they would have a version of Ditchy’s “It’s a Knock One Out” with the rest of the squad watching. The last one to finish was then “Django’d”. Not sure this last bit is very ITV Saturday-evening-prime-time so instead of the Django part we could have a smart trophy for the winner and a nice badge for the runners up.

ooohhhh .....cool..:good:

On 02/06/2021 at 21:37, Big Mat said:

Only pork we get now is from a local farmer/butcher, all outdoor reared, really tasty! Everything he does is full of flavour, can see them out grazing (sometimes up close when they pop into ours from the field next door!) and now he is selling some of my goat meat through his shop

There was a good reason back then to make sure it was well cooked. Worms.

Pork tenderloin, wrap in pancetta and roast for 30 minutes delicious - Even better done over wood

Proper pulled pork or mexican style carnitas - Spectacular at parties

3-2-1 ribs - Dead easy and gone in minutes, with only a pile of clean bones to show for it

Chinese style pork belly - Mmmmmmmm

Pork is mass produced now - You only have to look at the price per lb - They are giving it away. Slower cooked cuts have tons more flavour

If you want the good stuff, look for your butcher - You want good slow grown British pork (or a Spanish suckling pig). If you can get hold of Gloucester Old Spot, Tamworth or go continental for a Mangalitsa, you won't regret it - You're not going to get fillet steak for skirt steak money

I can now see that not all the pork is as rough as I made out it to be and I am sure you can still pick up some nice pork at mainly the smaller butchers and at farm markets .

Having said that , how often do you know what breed of pig the meat you are buying come off ? , it is normally sold as pork and that is it , the same applies to Venison , you never know weather it is Red , Fallow , Roe or any of the other breeds , the last bit of venison I had came from Waitrose ( again reduced ) and if I remember rightly it came from New Zealand , don't seem right with all the deer we have in the U K we have to have shipments brought in from the other side of the world , no doubt their is a valid reason but it do make you wonder why .

After keeping pigs for some years all of them rare breed my favourite is probably the Middle White for flavour and the best crackling followed by Large Black. Gloucester Old Spot are nice pigs but can run to fat very quickly, to be honest any of the old breeds will beat the massed produced rubbish hand down.

If you want decent pork find a local guy who raise a few for the table and buy half a pig from him. He can tell you the breed, feed, age etc. 

I think pork is one of the meats where quality and correct cooking are most important, otherwise it's really unforgiving.

Our local butcher has Gloucester Old Spot pork from a couple of local smallholders and it is fantastic.  I buy inch thick bone-in chops, score and salt the fat and then sprinkle the whole chop with an italian seasoning blend.  I fry them on each side 3-4 mins each to get a bit of colour in a heavy cast iron pan and then stand them on edge so the fat is facing up and roast them in the pan for 25 mins. That way you end up with almost a mini joint of roast meat complete with crackling.

Only 2 joints for me given the choice.

1st off its got to come from a decent supplier. 

Hand or shoulder and belly. 

All this pulled pork rubbish was no doubt an invention from a chef that over cooked a joint and it fell apart, not wanting to bin it he thought i will sell it to the gullible as pulled pork. 

• 1 month later...