Chiller/refrigerator engineer

Benthejockey

I might have the chance at a chiller, it hasn't been running for at least 3 years possibly longer. I have no idea whether it's just a case of plug it in and watch it go or if it'll be more complicated job. Is there any PW superstars who know about how they work and how tricky or expensive it'll be to get sorted?

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

The chances are that if it's been sitting and moved especially it will need a tweak at least but plug it in and watch for the temperature control cooling in a consistent manner is the cheapest option

Managed to speak to the bloke who had it before the people who've got it now and he never actually had it running either. It's a lorry back type chiller and they don't know how to run it off the mains. Sounds a bit tricky to me!

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Managed to speak to the bloke who had it before the people who've got it now and he never actually had it running either. It's a lorry back type chiller and they don't know how to run it off the mains. Sounds a bit tricky to me!

Avoid pal, in my experience the newer the cooler the better it runs thus saving huge amounts of electricity in the long run

I work in this industry REfrigerated Vehicles. I would avoid it like the plague, most of them never get maintained, but your biggest bugbear will be the insulation. If you imagine that Box body bouncing around the countryside over it's life most of the joints have worked loose, then you get water ingress so the insulating properties are next to uselss, so the refrigeration unit will be running constantly  and you will have a big electric bill.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

I use a coca cola chiller for my deer and boar works well and cheap

I've got an American fridge in the garage I use for deer and its fine. The extra space of a decent sized chiller like this one would be more handy for when I kill the turkeys or I do a few lambs for the freezer. Trouble with the coke fridges is we all want them and they're not cheap as a result!

3 hours ago, Kev1gun said:

I work in this industry REfrigerated Vehicles. I would avoid it like the plague, most of them never get maintained, but your biggest bugbear will be the insulation. If you imagine that Box body bouncing around the countryside over it's life most of the joints have worked loose, then you get water ingress so the insulating properties are next to uselss, so the refrigeration unit will be running constantly  and you will have a big electric bill.

Cheers Kev