Antique game counters (often known as Norfolk Liars)

ilovemyheckler

Does anyone know anything about these?

I recently acquired an old game counter, possibly German?

However, although the front looks to be brass plated the rear has had the plated finish removed and now has a silver finish. At first I thought that the front and rear may have had different finishes to make it easier to select the right game but on closer inspection there are still small remains of brass on the rear.

Do you know of anyone who might be able to refurbish and replate the rear and the front and possibly tell me a bit about the origin and history?

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Edited by ilovemyheckler

That object is a "Norfolk Liar"

I am not suggesting that people from Norfolk do not tell the truth!

A quick Google gives;

Some sportsmen had an over optimistic view of the number of birds they actually hit and on occasion may instruct their loader to record near misses when they were “confident” the bird would eventually drop hence the nickname for these game markers of “Norfolk Liar”.

Just now, ilovemyheckler said:

That object is a "Norfolk Liar"

I am not suggesting that people from Norfolk do not tell the truth!

Are you suggesting that they do 🤭🤔

These objects are easy to use if you have 6 fingers 😂😂

as said above highly collectible I once had a gun with one let into the side of the stock marked with three counters pheasant partridge and hares another one I regret selling 😂

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

We could rewrite it for you but it’s not so much fun 😂😂😂

what gets me is "WHO" coined the phrase.............i will tell you .......wealthy non-indigenous southerners............thinking they were brow beating the norfolk serf to cover up for their bloody ineptitude................paaahhhhhhh:mad:

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what gets me is "WHO" coined the phrase.............i will tell you .......wealthy non-indigenous southerners............thinking they were brow beating the norfolk serf to cover up for their bloody ineptitude................paaahhhhhhh:mad:

It’s geographic and it’s not our fault your the oppressed Norfolk serf 

Anyway we need someone to carry the tray of pimms around on a day like this 

you should try it it’s not all roses what we have to put up with all day we’re at it chasing after servants and maids constantly  checking the silverware and wine cellar not to mention the dam chauffeur joy riding in the Bentley 

you serfs have never had it so good 😊 😂😂

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what gets me is "WHO" coined the phrase.............i will tell you .......wealthy non-indigenous southerners............thinking they were brow beating the norfolk serf to cover up for their bloody inep etitude................paaahhhhhhh

Wow , steady on boi , your ole blood pressure will soon be high enough to pump up a John Deere tractor wheel , your best bet is sit out in your garden and enjoy a nice glass of the finest wine made with grapes from the mountain region of our fine county , or is that a lie :drinks::lol:

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Wow , steady on boi , your ole blood pressure will soon be high enough to pump up a John Deere tractor wheel , your best bet is sit out in your garden and enjoy a nice glass of the finest wine made with grapes from the mountain region of our fine county , or is that a lie :drinks::lol:

Well, there’s nothing wrong with Norfolk made whisky.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Careful, you will have an uncontrollable urge to push statues over. 

The Gnomes in your garden should watch out. 😁

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

They are very collectable.

You`re right there.

Holts next auction have a Hawksley one estimated £300-£500

and a sterling silver one by Thornhill estimated £2500-£3500  ???

OB

9 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You`re right there.

Holts next auction have a Hawksley one estimated £300-£500

and a sterling silver one by Thornhill estimated £2500-£3500  

OB

there is obviously money to be made in not telling the truth............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Well, there’s nothing wrong with Norfolk made whisky.

Never a truer word spoken London Best ( just to keep in tune with the original title :yes: ) not to upset our friends north of the border but some connoisseurs of Whiskey rate our's better than some of the well known Scotch , mind you , as I don't drink the stuff I can only go by what others say .

I'm intrigued... can anyone tell me what the original thread title was which offended our venerable colleague so much?!

Oh yes and intrigued by the artefacts in question, a good chunk of money's worth if they're in decent nick??  Nice find! 👍