Advice on notice to prosecute for speeding.

hodge911

Hi all I'm a bit cheesed off .

Got a letter through post today I got nabbed on sunday gone by a mobile camera van . It's got me at 35mph in a 30mph .

Its a duel carriageway which I thought was a 40mph .. I've got a clean license that has been clean for over 30 years .. 

Does Anyone know the criteria for being offered the speed awareness course ?

Or will I get the fine & points ?.

Northumbria police 

In similar circumstances I got the offer of a speed awareness course. Take it, it's about £90 but you don't get points and many insurance companies don't take it into account for premiums  but you should advise them at renewal time.

It's a bit boring and you may be surprised how unaware some of your fellow attendees are.

Vic.

Take the course, you will probably do it on line too so just a couple of hours if that. 

No points on your licence, but if your asked by insurance company i was advised not to tell porky's. 

Hint, make sure the battery is charged. 

Errm...I worked for a listed motor insurers. Anything that may affect the insurer's risk MUST be declared. If you don't and you then do have an accident the insurer can cancel the policy and refund your premium then walk away. Truth is that 35mph in a 30mph zone as a one off conviction usually now won't affect the premium. Nor will the alternative of a speed awareness course. Failing to declare either may however, as said, void your cover.

22 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Errm...I worked for a listed motor insurers. Anything that may affect the insurer's risk MUST be declared

Do they not need to ask? If not you could witter on for ages about all sorts of things that might need to be declared.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Errm...I worked for a listed motor insurers. Anything that may affect the insurer's risk MUST be declared. If you don't and you then do have an accident the insurer can cancel the policy and refund your premium then walk away. Truth is that 35mph in a 30mph zone as a one off conviction usually now won't affect the premium. Nor will the alternative of a speed awareness course. Failing to declare either may however, as said, void your cover.

Do you need to declare if you take 3 points? 

Do you need to declare it when you get the points or only at renewal time? 

For most if not all policies a change to the risk must be notified it is as soon as possible after the event....penalty points....medical condition....change of address...change of occupation...change of how the vehicle is parked overnight....has occurred. 

The underlying doctrine is that of "uberrimae fidei" as explained below in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uberrima_fides#:~:text=Uberrima fides (sometimes seen in,doctrine which governs insurance contracts.

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

8 hours ago, Windswept said:

Do they not need to ask? If not you could witter on for ages about all sorts of things that might need to be declared.

No they will ask but if outside of renewal time unless you contact them and initiate the conversation then they won't know. If you look at your policy somewhere will be some sort of wording about having to notify the underwriter during the course of the policy being in force about "any change in material facts that may affect....blah, blah, blah".

Edited by enfieldspares

I was c aught in Northumbria 4 years ago and had the option of taking the speed awareness course, which cost about the same as a fine, its worth doing no points on licence and no insurance  increase.  The course was in a hotel virtually on the Border and took the best part of a morning with a coffee break half way.  

Blackpowder

21 hours ago, GingerCat said:

35 in a 30 is highly unlikely to result in anything at all.

Must depend on the force area, Ive seen people reported for 35 mph in a 30 on numerous occasions, and been 'pointed' or referred for speed awareness.

On 03/06/2021 at 19:10, DUNKS said:

Yep. As above ,i was a bit peeved but did the course, I was the only man there! Instructors were very good. Told us that you did not have to declare it to insurers and in fact they have no right to ask.

I was told the same thing at mine, we are a naughty bunch.😅

20 hours ago, team tractor said:

It’s only luck that most of us aren’t caught more. 

Is " I was arguing with the Mrs " a defence ? Probably not but that's the reason .

Not excessive 35mph in a 30mph area . ( funny enough just outside lord geordies house ) we were having a small domestic about the amount of stuff she keeps asking to be done in garden .... I'm sure its to keep me from enjoying myself with the guns ... lol... but she wasn't happy when I said it ...

22 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Is " I was arguing with the Mrs " a defence ? Probably not but that's the reason .

Not excessive 35mph in a 30mph area . ( funny enough just outside lord geordies house ) we were having a small domestic about the amount of stuff she keeps asking to be done in garden .... I'm sure its to keep me from enjoying myself with the guns ... lol... but she wasn't happy when I said it ...

She just wanted her bench slats 🤣🤣🤣

23 hours ago, team tractor said:

Believe 🙏

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

Collecting paint for the fence 8 flamin gallons of the stuff. She couldn't make her mind up on colour... hence the lapse of concentration

Tell it to the Judge, buster 😆

Edited by Mungler

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 18:08, hodge911 said:

Sorry but 35mph in a 30mph zone is excessive, look up the difference that 5mph at that speed makes if you were to hit someone mate........it's sobering to say the least.

On 15/06/2021 at 21:40, team tractor said:

You mean lack of cameras 

I got at 38 in 30, had come out a 40 and not slowed up, round the corner saw the van and hit the brakes.  - images showed camera on me for 3 seconds, police mate said I could contest that they didn't have time to know my speed and we're just click and hope. But I was over and did the course, less hassle than trying to argue.

Again also got told that insurer does not need to know as your license has not been scribbled on, so no change to circumstances etc 

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Edited by ShootingEgg
Odd quote appeared

On 04/06/2021 at 00:22, Lloyd90 said:

You are supposed to inform your insurance company as soon as you get the points, I doubt if many people do