GPF

wymberley

Where I do the vast majority of driving having a DPF was a disaster so moved to petrol and now all is good. However, was considering buying a toy - or as explained to 'er indoors, a sensible comfortable road car - but have now come across the GPF. Although I won't be crawling around the hedgerows in it, much of the driving will remain the same so will I have the same problems?

Many thanks.

No. To my understanding, while the DPF and GPF carry out the same function they operate under different conditions (gas particulate sizes, heat cycles etc.) So the GPF is a lot less likely to become problematic.

Though I am not an automotive engineer or a mechanic. I do speak from experience having had 3 cars with a GPF filter with one of them being a toy that covered less than 6k miles a year for the three years I had it. The way in which it was used for short journeys would have been a certain death sentence for a DPF equipped diesel car.

14 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

No. To my understanding, while the DPF and GPF carry out the same function they operate under different conditions (gas particulate sizes, heat cycles etc.) So the GPF is a lot less likely to become problematic.

Though I am not an automotive engineer or a mechanic. I do speak from experience having had 3 cars with a GPF filter with one of them being a toy that covered less than 6k miles a year for the three years I had it. The way in which it was used for short journeys would have been a certain death sentence for a DPF equipped diesel car.

Proper job! Thank you very much indeed.