Bonsai Pot ( full version)

I have always been fascinated with bonsai trees, recently I have tried making a few out of conifers bought from a local garden centre. Some have turned out quite well and ive even managed to sell some on e bay to help fund my hobby. Whilst out on my boat the other day I found a small tree growing underneath the road bridge, it had somehow started to grow in a crack in the concrete and was being watered by the wash generated by passing boats. Because of this it had formed a very interesting exposed root formation and was perfect for a bonsai. I know you shouldn't really take trees from the wild but due to the location of this tree it was only a matter of time before it became a nuisance and would be pulled out by the environment agency or broken by a passing boat. So I decided to rescue it and managed to remove it without causing any damage to the roots. I returned home and made up a quick temporary pot out of some wood I had lying around. As you can see it is a lovely little tree with a lot of potential. I think it is a Poplar tree? Maybe someone can confirm or correct that for me.

IMG-20210601-163120.jpg

IMG-20210601-163058.jpg

IMG-20210601-163307.jpg

I knew i was going to need a proper pot soon and didn't fancy buying one as it needs to be around 3ft long and 18” wide so I had a look on you tube to see if it was possible to make one. After a few hours of research I thought I would have a go. I purchased some sand and cement, made up a rotating table out of scrap wood and a wheel of an old band saw and made a former from some brass plate.

I started by making the sand mould, I used a cut up camping matt to act as a guide and a couple of pieces of wood to act as screed bars.

IMG-20210603-090612.jpgIMG-20210603-093205.jpg

I made another former out of plywood to shape the sides of the mould.

IMG-20210603-093250.jpg

IMG-20210603-093239.jpg

IMG-20210603-094228.jpg

IMG-20210603-100729.jpg

I then knocked up some sand and cement I used a 1:1 mix ( I later realised I should have used 2 parts sand) and started to apply to the mould. I added some baking parchment as i was worried that the cement would stick to the wood.

IMG-20210603-105534.jpg

IMG-20210603-110035.jpg

I added some wire to give it some strength

IMG-20210603-111830.jpg

I then kept running the former around the pot and then adding some more cement to the low spots and repeating the process until a smooth finish was achieved. after that i sprinkled dry cement powder onto the pot and went around with the former again, im not sure quite what this does? but all the videos i watched they did this. I think it creates a smoother finish. i also should have mixed cement and water and gone over with that for the final finish but in all the excitement i forgot that stage.

IMG-20210603-110657.jpg

IMG-20210603-122128.jpg

IMG-20210603-122135.jpg

IMG-20210603-122143.jpg

I added some drainage holes using a length of 32mm copper pipe and some smaller holes for wiring down the trunk/roots until the tree takes hold.

I then had to wait 24 hours for the cement to cure, after this i gently eased the pot from the foam matt and scraped out the sand.

IMG-20210604-075914.jpg

IMG-20210604-075920.jpg

IMG-20210604-090246.jpg

Its not perfect but its pretty good and im really pleased for a first attempt and apart from some time it cost me around 5 quid. 

I've been doing some more research and i now realise that i have to let the cement cure some more, i need to put it in a damp bin bag for 2 - 4 weeks keeping the bag damp. Apparently if you don't do this it will crack a few weeks after planting in it?? You also need to be careful as some concrete mixes are either high in alkaline or acid and this needs to neutralised by soaking in water or water and vinegar mixes, some sites suggest that you need to do this for months???? otherwise the unpredictable PH level can affect you plants.

So a bit more homework needed before i plant in this pot. i will try some more pots and try to achieve a smoother finish, but to be honest i quite like the rustic charm that this one has.

Edited by markyboy07

That pot looks brilliant. All the better for the fact you made it and didn't spend a fortune. 

I painted live yogurt on some griffin statues that were raw yellowy coloured concrete. I got moss and lichens and allsorts of aged colouring on them very quickly. They look really good now.