D Day

armsid

Just saw the picture of the D DAY Memorial in D Mail  Its perched above Gold beach in Normandy engraved with the names of those that fell on D Day 77 yrs ago this w/end We should never forget them and this is the best way We must still remember all forces personell past and present for their service to this country

Some years back we spent a few days driving the Normandy coast from Cherbourg to Le Havre stopping at many of the well known beaches, some where mulberry units still protruded above sea level, and visiting museums. There are some good museums, particularly in Arromanches. One museum shows continuous footage of military films from numerous sources stitched together into one long story. Extremely moving indeed and very thought provoking. Worth a visit.  When travel is again permitted I think I will visit the D Day memorial when calling on friends in Normandy. To my mind the memorial captures the determination to succeed.

I’ve visited the mulberry unit in Penzance bay many times. It lies in 50 Mtrs of water! Fascinating piece of engineering.

46 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Some years back we spent a few days driving the Normandy coast from Cherbourg to Le Havre stopping at many of the well known beaches, some where mulberry units still protruded above sea level, and visiting museums. There are some good museums, particularly in Arromanches. One museum shows continuous footage of military films from numerous sources stitched together into one long story. Extremely moving indeed and very thought provoking. Worth a visit.  When travel is again permitted I think I will visit the D Day memorial when calling on friends in Normandy. To my mind the memorial captures the determination to succeed.

I’ve visited the mulberry unit in Penzance bay many times. It lies in 50 Mtrs of water! Fascinating piece of engineering.

They did a lot of testing  of the Mulberry near here in South West Scotland  , not to far from were I live , you can still see parts of it,  and it's history , and interesting  read 

https://mulberryharbour.info/

My late mother disagreed with these "come lately" memorials saying that if "they" couldn't be bothered to look after veterans (and the families of deceased veterans) when they were still alive why erect a memorial to them now when most of those who did survive were now dead?

As to those that fell in those long hard summer days in 1944 they already have this and other places where they are remembered.

Read the moving and very powerful families' personal dedications on the gravestones at Bayeux Cemetery. It is real people....sons, fathers, brothers, husbands with their ages at death and not just a cold list of names inscribed without emotion (no matter how dynamic the three bronze figures) as a mere roll call on this "come lately" edifice.

I have seen both. Look through the link attached and see the dedications to those at Bayeux cut into their headstones that can be all read there. And it makes Bayeux and the quiet dignity and fittingness of it and all similar places more, ever, than this "come lately" construction will ever be.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?CemeteryExact=true&Cemetery=BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY

desk.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Dad was in the Swedebashers / Devonshire Regiment that some went in on landing craft and some in gliders to Pegasus bridge. went over a few years ago and followed his route up to Honfleur. I regret not finding out more from him whilst he was alive. A very quiet humble man he was , like all those back then.    I couldn't respect them any more than I do now, but unfortunately found it hard to show while he was alive (man thing).

1 hour ago, tonker said:

Dad was in the Swedebashers / Devonshire Regiment that some went in on landing craft and some in gliders to Pegasus bridge. went over a few years ago and followed his route up to Honfleur. I regret not finding out more from him whilst he was alive. A very quiet humble man he was , like all those back then.    I couldn't respect them any more than I do now, but unfortunately found it hard to show while he was alive (man thing).

Your father , would have been like my father , and so many others , they never talked about it .

On 05/06/2021 at 02:03, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We will ALWAYS remember them.

I sincerely hope so but I just wonder how many swanning around on this warm June morning all in their own selfish world actually will.

We have some friends in for a barbecue this afternoon and all but one will have come through those years as babies or very young children and the memories are still ingrained on our minds.  I will still remind them of the date.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, if only!

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

If we could only have harvested an ounce of their courage, clemency and dignity, then injected it into the youth of today, what a better place this world would be.

So, what did the youth of today do in Afghanistan then - hide behind their mothers skirts?

I have the utmost respect as do you all for those involved in all the campaigns of ww2, but this rose tinted view about the 'greatest generation' never makes sense. There were just as many cowards, shirkers and men who just couldnt take the pressure in the world in 1944 as there are today. Google british army desertion rates in ww2.

1 hour ago, MirokuMK70 said:

So, what did the youth of today do in Afghanistan then - hide behind their mothers skirts?

I have the utmost respect as do you all for those involved in all the campaigns of ww2, but this rose tinted view about the 'greatest generation' never makes sense. There were just as many cowards, shirkers and men who just couldnt take the pressure in the world in 1944 as there are today. Google british army desertion rates in ww2.

By youth I refer to teenagers. Besides Afghanistan is a totally different kind of battlefield.

Edited by bruno22rf

51 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

By youth I refer to teenagers. Besides Afghanistan is a totally different kind of battlefield.

A battlefield is a battlefield. A great deal of those in helmand ten years ago were teenagers... why would an 18 year old now be any different... there will always be those that are prepared to step forward if required.

This post has gone from a D Day Memorial to which battlefield is better or worse, a rose tinted view of a generation not making sense, cowards, shirkers and army desertion rates in WW2.

I have had the privilege of meeting veterans from WW1, WW2, Korea, the Falklands and Afghanistan to name but a few and I've visited many of the war graves of both world wars and it doesn't matter what generation, what battlefield, what colour or creed, those that made the ultimate sacrifice, the veterans who came home and those currently serving in our armed forces all deserve our deepest respect. 

14 minutes ago, claydodger said:

This post has gone from a D Day Memorial to which battlefield is better or worse, a rose tinted view of a generation not making sense, cowards, shirkers and army desertion rates in WW2.

I have had the privilege of meeting veterans from WW1, WW2, Korea, the Falklands and Afghanistan to name but a few and I've visited many of the war graves of both world wars and it doesn't matter what generation, what battlefield, what colour or creed, those that made the ultimate sacrifice, the veterans who came home and those currently serving in our armed forces all deserve our deepest respect. 

:good:

On 05/06/2021 at 08:55, Bobba said:

would you have any links to any information on those please?

Hi Dave

Sadly not. Suggest you search “museums at Arromanches” and see if they’ve websites perhaps with further links.

When the travel ban lifts it’s a worthwhile DIY tour staying in guest houses in the “Logis de France” system. Relatively inexpensive. My starting point was internet searches of WW2 places of interest Normandy then build your own tour. That should also include WW2 cemeteries which are very moving.

Bob

12 hours ago, Dave-G said:

would you have any links to any information on those please?

Edited by Bobba

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Hi Dave

Sadly not. Suggest you search “museums at Arromanches” and see if they’ve websites perhaps with further links.

When the travel ban lifts it’s a worthwhile DIY tour staying in guest houses in the “Logis de France” system. Relatively inexpensive. My starting point was internet searches of WW2 places of interest Normandy then build your own tour. That should also include WW2 cemeteries which are very moving.

Bob

Thanks Bob, just that I grew up south west of Penzance and never heard anything about it.

Just watched a clip on Bill Milne Simon Lovat's Piper at Pegasus Bridge, live footage of Bill leading the Lovat Scouts and an interview with him in 1994  a very modest man , and a very brave man.  Captured German s said they did not shoot at the piper as they thought him to be mad.   Airborne troops on the wrong side of the bridge were cheered and heartened by the sound of the pipes letting them know reinforcements were  approaching and held out until relieved.

Blackpowder

5 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Thanks Bob, just that I grew up south west of Penzance and never heard anything about it.

Aaah, sorry Dave, It’s just dawned on me. It wasn’t Normandy but the Mulberry unit you were enquiring on. But sadly, yet again, I have no info on the actual unit.

The dive club used to dive Penzance most Easters as did other clubs and rather like stamp collectors we often swapped GPS No’s with fellow divers for good wreck dives. One asked me if I had No’s for the Moidart or Alisa Craig in Lyme Bay for which he would swap the Mulberry unit. Never heard of it but it was a good swap. Nothing much on the outside but brittle starfish and concrete but entry via large cracks the inside was a fiesta of cold water corals and mechanical pumps etc. I’ve still got the No’s if anyone wants to dive it

Bob

Edited by Bobba

On 05/06/2021 at 09:45, johnphilip said:

They did a lot of testing  of the Mulberry near here in South West Scotland  , not to far from were I live , you can still see parts of it,  and it's history , and interesting  read 

https://mulberryharbour.info/

Yes you aren’t far from me. That testing and prep wasn’t without its dangers either