Top lever over extends to open

WalkedUp

I was out on the shoot with my Hushpower .410” today, it’s an Enrico Perdetti single shot. With the three boys in tow there were not many opportunities, I was too slow for a couple of squirrels and then nailed a crow. The boys were happy but I noticed how the gun is so stiff to open. You have to open the top lever until it stops, then push it further to drop the barrel. It really didn’t cost me much money so unlikely to be worth a gunsmith’s time. Any one have any ideas? Cleaning it hasn’t helped. Some grease hasn’t helped. 

EC18A7D1-FC67-4C7A-84F9-DB515B22D60F.jpeg

A9C096FB-33A9-48C2-9C43-9EB16E3EFB7D.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

I have had both fully moderated 410 pedretti and also the 12 bore version  both were tight and opening the action was exactly as you describe. The times when I nearly hyperextended my thumb opening the *******. I kept them well lubricated and cleaned. Had the fourten for the best part of twenty years and put plenty through it, never eased, nor the 12 either.  

I never bothered getting them looked at re this, and they gave me no additional issues. That said, I ain't no smith.

Loving the crocs by the way. 👍

The stiff lever cost me a quick second shot. Considering grinding the bite down. 

Just to explain the Croc footwear with another picture from today, the boys are like dogs and are drawn to water. Crocs are ideal for aimlessly wading in and out of water. They overtop their wellies constantly. The footwear is Crocs, hats are by Kookabura whilst the wading sticks are models’ own. 

A67AA551-87FC-4292-96D1-E6C17000DE23.jpeg

The deep pool on that meander is between 3 and 4ft deep. The rest of the water is 6”. Why they have to play in that spot so I can’t sit down or relax is beyond me. 

7 hours ago, London Best said:

My BIL had a Pedretti 50 years ago. If I remember correctly they are a lever cocking action so pushing the lever has to overcome both the top lever spring and the mainspring, hence they are always going to be stiff to open.

That’s interesting, thank you! 

22 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Sounds about right . These are very basic actions made to a price so nothing sophisticated and originally sold for very little money .

I think I paid £50 for it fully moderated, including a couple of boxes of .410” subsonics and a gunslip...  does it seem unreasonable to expect it to work as smoothly as my £2,500 Beretta? 🤣

It works but is agricultural, following London Best’s advice will avoid tinkering. 

I know someone who had one of these in 12b and it got to the point where you could barely open it. On inspection one of the parts inside had worn down (If I recall it was the bottom of the lever itself which has a cam on the bottom). I'd be worried that it'd wear enough that you can no longer break it, which is almost what happened to this one.