Old BSA Meteor

Gunman

Bagnall and kirkwood, and as above chambers/knibbs. I use both and switch between the 2 when finding parts for the best prices. 

Both will be the top searches if you Google 'bsa meteor spares'

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/categories/24305/Meteor

https://www.airgunspares.com/meteor-variants

https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/bsa/bsa-meteor-air-rifle-spare-parts-list/

Occasionally ebay may come up with the really hard to source parts. But some sellers take the **** and try and charge you more than the guns worth. 

Bsa meteors are easy to work on other than the piston head on a few earlier models getting stuck, then they can be a right **** to get out. 

I acquired  this old girl  a long time ago and it has stood in the cupboard for more years than I can remember . Currently it has a trigger pull of around 20 lbs and just about spits a pellet out . Last time I looked it seemed to have a mixed trigger parts from different marks so not wanting to go to a lot of trouble ,as I have a BSA Mercury which I occasionally play with ,eyesight being the problem , I can see the sights or the target but not both without changing glasses a so  have fitted a " red dot" sight ,which will do every thing I will ever want to do ..

May be strip it down and have a look next week .

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

The deluxe model was a Mk2 with a “recoil pad” and was a pile of carp. Nowhere near as good as the original Mk1.

That was fitted to make placing the butt on your foot more comfortable, makes looking down the barrel to see if the pellet is still in transit after you've pulled the trigger much easier.

27 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

That was fitted to make placing the butt on your foot more comfortable, makes looking down the barrel to see if the pellet is still in transit after you've pulled the trigger much easier.

I have owned four Mk1 Meteors. Without exception all have shot hard and accurately. My current .177 shoots most pellets at 725fps and gets very close to 800 with Hobbies. Not bad for a 60+ year old youth air gun. You are welcome to come and have a look down the barrel.

To be fair, I have yet to experience a decent Mk2/3/4, but my SIL has a nice Mk5.

Poured some oil into the cylinder and stripped out the trigger  after a vague memory of having seen a couple of airgun bits in a tin that I had salted away and must have acquired at some point and forgotten about .

Turned out to be trigger sear and spring all cintered and no ide of age which I fitted and played around with .Now have a trigger pull that is heavy but crisp so will let it settle in with a bit of use before I try to adjust it further .

May be wrong but i did think   the Meteor trigger was always a bit hard and was a compromise between weight and going of on closing . 

Not after great power as it will only be a plinker in the back garden  ,so as long as it will knock a tin over at 10/15 yards I will be happy .

Edited by Gunman

My lad has MK I, III, IV, and V Meteors.  Awful triggers were down to stupidly stiff springs on a couple that we bought.  

They all shoot at about 10.5 ft-lb and are smoothed out by hand polishing and honing the internals and PTFE or steel sleeves.  You can get kits to replace the leather washers with plastics.   The trigger sears can be polished IIRC.  

T R Robb has tuning kits for all UK models.  They can run at 12ft-lb without much trouble.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2021 at 07:47, ditchman said:

like all BSA air rifles of a certain age..........they are good (ish) desighn........but totally unfinished when leaving the factory...and need to be worked on to make them into what they should be.........

We're Webley's any better, when it came to finishing. 

Genuine question.

46 minutes ago, redial said:

We're Webley's any better, when it came to finishing. 

Genuine question.

the early webley's up to the Mk 3 underlever were very well finished....after that the quality declined

BSA and Webley were both fighting off competion from german imports....and UK couldnt / didnt know how to handle it........

Edited by ditchman

On 21/06/2021 at 18:35, ditchman said:

the early webley's up to the Mk 3 underlever were very well finished....after that the quality declined

BSA and Webley were both fighting off competion from german imports....and UK couldnt / didnt know how to handle it........

Is that including the MK3?

I've recently been given my uncles MK3 by my aunt after he passed away. Not used it much but it seems a lovely, if slightly front heavy gun.

8 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Is that including the MK3?

I've recently been given my uncles MK3 by my aunt after he passed away. Not used it much but it seems a lovely, if slightly front heavy gun.

including the Mk 3..........i loved mine...it was my fist air rifle...

there are quite a few colectors about  of the Mk 3

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Yerr, the mk3’s were so well engineered. I don’t think it would be possible to actually wear one out. I have an early mk3 that I lent to my dad in 1991 and he’s still got it. In fact I had a look at it when I was there the other week. It’s in better condition than I thought it was. Also, my uncle bought one of the last ones new at chatsworth game fair in 1975. It cost him £42 and he also bought a tin of eley wasp .22’s, I think there’s still about 300 pellets in the same tin😂. Needless to say, his example is mint. I’ve had them both on the chrono with eley wasps. Mine was running 9.7ft lbs, and his was at 10.5ft lbs, both .22

59 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

Yerr, the mk3’s were so well engineered. I don’t think it would be possible to actually wear one out. I have an early mk3 that I lent to my dad in 1991 and he’s still got it. In fact I had a look at it when I was there the other week. It’s in better condition than I thought it was. Also, my uncle bought one of the last ones new at chatsworth game fair in 1975. It cost him £42 and he also bought a tin of eley wasp .22’s, I think there’s still about 300 pellets in the same tin😂. Needless to say, his example is mint. I’ve had them both on the chrono with eley wasps. Mine was running 9.7ft lbs, and his was at 10.5ft lbs, both .22

they have leather seals....and over the years the drag increases.....if you were to change the seal for a modified parachute seal just lubed with graphite i rekon it would shoot close or over the limit..:w00t:

the other thing to check is the alignment of the loading tap to the barrel....it is adjusted with shims...that can make a hell of a lot of difference if slighty out..

On 26/06/2021 at 07:47, ditchman said:

👍

On 26/06/2021 at 11:04, Rimfireboy said:

👍

Really looking forward to using mine - as I said, it seems a really nice gun.

Edited by PeterHenry

• 1 month later...