Leather covered pads

Dave at kelton

I just love the look of a leather covered recoil pad. My latest acquisition (sideplated 20g McNab Highlander) had one on, but gave a LOP too long for my little arms, so I had to replace it with my home made effort of a wooden pad. Not brilliant but good enough for me. Also, if I ever wish to sell (which I hope I never will) then it will give the option of two stock lengths.

OBIMG_1026.JPG.48ab32967912b55003c85f7e27c8f67a.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

55 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

A few of you asked me about leather covered recall pads. This is your man, Greg Morris.

gunstockrestoration.co.uk

8BEA050B-8FAB-4C1D-BCE7-E86FE57F36DC.jpeg

That`s quite an art to get the leather over the pad without any creases. Lovely work. The two lines also give it class. Love it.

Just now, reindeer said:

It is not too difficult to make a good looking leather covered pad yourself. There are some very good how to DIY videos on YouTube.

I did try on my 16g Charles Hellis BLNE a while ago, it was functional but left a lot to be desired.

OB

Hellis 16g.jpg

On 06/06/2021 at 14:22, Dave at kelton said:

That looks good and I would describe as better than functional!

Thanks for that comment John, but I wasn’t too happy that the pad didn’t follow the line of the toe of the stock.

OB

18 hours ago, London Best said:

I did notice that, but thought it would be picky to comment.

Not picky at all LB. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

After spending quite a long time on the pad, I just didn`t have the enthusiasm to start all over again, but realised that it was far from perfect and settled for that.

The YouTube video I watched (Midway USA I think) the guy had some sort of gauge whereby he marked out the line of the pad to follow both the line of the heel and toe of the stock, but I could never get my head round how it worked, so didn`t make one.  Also, the leather pad was slightly oversized all round where I didn`t make due allowance for the thickness of the leather. Thinner leather would also have obviated the problem getting rid of wrinkles at the toe and heel, which if I recall, were a pain to get rid of.

OB