Coming to a wood near you.

oowee

Out foxing last week and was working my way through the targets with plenty of older cubs about. Then looking through the thermal spotted several different shapes at the edge of a wood. Anyone who has watched the NV hunting videos from the State's would immediately recognise the silhouettes.  Seeing it for for real I could not believe what I thought I had seen. 

My spotter had missed it but there again not a minute later another line of white silhouettes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 it went on. It can't be but it is. Wild bore. I pick one of the biggest and let fly at 150m.  Adrenaline is pumping and the spotter confirms a miss and no impact sound??? I was bang on allowing for the trot but it was late and the target was not so easy, accepting a miss we headed home knowing that we had an interesting clearance job ahead. 

Next day over to see the farmer and he handed me a shovel. 'You better clear up your mess' There in the field was a circa 80kg bore 20m from the shot site. What an interesting nights foxing in North Somerset.

He shoots and has a good feel for stuff. The shot hit diaphragm line going forward to heart and lungs behind shoulder. about 75cm behind aim point but into the forward 1/3 as intended.

I agreed no impact sound although I was buzzing so could have easily missed and thought I may have pulled the shot it was all very quick, I was content at the time to accept the miss, although I had some doubts 😗

8 hours ago, oowee said:

Out foxing last week and was working my way through the targets with plenty of older cubs about. Then looking through the thermal spotted several different shapes at the edge of a wood. Anyone who has watched the NV hunting videos from the State's would immediately recognise the silhouettes.  Seeing it for for real I could not believe what I thought I had seen. 

My spotter had missed it but there again not a minute later another line of white silhouettes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 it went on. It can't be but it is. Wild bore. I pick one of the biggest and let fly at 150m.  Adrenaline is pumping and the spotter confirms a miss and no impact sound??? I was bang on allowing for the trot but it was late and the target was not so easy, accepting a miss we headed home knowing that we had an interesting clearance job ahead. 

Next day over to see the farmer and he handed me a shovel. 'You better clear up your mess' There in the field was a circa 80kg bore 20m from the shot site. What an interesting nights foxing in North Somerset.

I have never shot anything but shotguns ,so interested to know what is meant by allowing for the trot ?

The biggest in the group is probably the matriarch so I try and pick a smaller one.

What caliber were you using?

/Markus 

48 minutes ago, holloway said:

I have never shot anything but shotguns ,so interested to know what is meant by allowing for the trot ?

Lead, i assume oowee means that they were trotting.

/Markus

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

The biggest in the group is probably the matriarch so I try and pick a smaller one.

/Markus 

/Markus

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

/Markus 

/Markus

Seriously you shoot 150 metres at a moving target ! I struggle at 45 with a shotgun.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you will soon have a lot more.  Easy to assume a miss on wild boar. Out in Texas I used a 375JDJ (necked down 444Marlin case) which would bite at both ends and have had some very large boars hit through the motor room, run 100yrds before going down.   Yearlings are very good eating.

On 06/06/2021 at 22:48, oowee said:

I'm a little confused by your story. Do you normally go our foxing with a large calibre rifle or where you expecting something else?

I also thought it was strongly recommended to follow up a wounded boar as they can be dangerous if wounded.

Yes, they are not normally happy bunnies if wounded. However, a hard hit wild pig can run a long way before dropping and show little sign of being hit. This one was hit with the 375JDJ through the ribs/lungs but still ran over 100yrds in a large circle before keeling over. Fortunately a very good blood trail through the prickly pear and meqsuite.

P1010150.JPG

On 07/06/2021 at 16:00, holloway said:

Seriously you shoot 150 metres at a moving target ! I struggle at 45 with a shotgun.

Absolutely, but after some training at the range and at moderate speeds for large targets.

At elk, large boar etc maybe 250-300 in the right conditions.

/Markus

On 28/07/2021 at 08:53, Windswept said:

I also thought it was strongly recommended to follow up a wounded boar as they can be dangerous if wounded.

Around here, Sweden, it's the law to have a trained tracking dog availible if you hunt large game.

/M

.................... and those dogs are superb along with the hounds used to push elk out.  Enjoyed many hours in Sweden super countryside and super people living there.

Most places visited you had to take a few shots on the running elk target before going out for real.    The BOG here in the UK has a running boar set up which you can hire and this can be good fun with a group of friends.  Take plenty of ammunition it is addictive.