Bees

Mice!

We've got Bees, earlier in the year I'd seen blue tits going into the wall where the overflow pipe used to be, obviously looking for a nesting site or spiders.

I looked up the other and spotted Bees, lots of them, one came in the landing window the other day which made an ID possible,  although if I'd looked around there are numerous dead ones about on the floor.

20210607_133237.jpg.86357fcc14246a68adc7e1674bbb61a7.jpg

According to the above they are tree bumblebees,  there just not in a tree.

Quick check yesterday and they aren't in the loft just in the cavity,  I'd blocked the hole on the inside with expanding form years ago, but you can just make them out coming and going through a little hole.

Hopefully the fruit trees in the garden will benefit this year.

Tree bumbles bees are becoming increasingly common, I actually had a nest in a tree but most people seem to notice them nesting in a bird box.

You may start to see males hovering outside the entrance and I gather they'll die out in late July, possibly August.

I also gather they may not like vibrations and disturbance, so, if you can, leave them to it. I've not had any problem watching them.

3 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Tree bumbles bees are becoming increasingly common, I actually had a nest in a tree but most people seem to notice them nesting in a bird box.

You may start to see males hovering outside the entrance and I gather they'll die out in late July, possibly August.

I also gather they may not like vibrations and disturbance, so, if you can, leave them to it. I've not had any problem watching them.

Thanks, there well up out of the way so should be fine.

The above list of bees does not mention masonry bees or ‘Mason’ bees as they are known. These are renowned for living in cracks in walls etc. If you google ‘Mason bees’ they look very similar to what you have described as Tree bumble bees.

Every year a neighbour has these nesting in the cracks at the top of his chimney stack. 

OB

15 hours ago, Windswept said:

Or you can leave them be(e).  :)

8 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Or you can leave them be(e).  

You're Beeing silly now 😉

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

The above list of bees does not mention masonry bees or ‘Mason’ bees as they are known. These are renowned for living in cracks in walls etc. If you google ‘Mason bees’ they look very similar to what you have described as Tree bumble bees.

Every year a neighbour has these nesting in the cracks at the top of his chimney stack. 

OB

I looked at pictures of Red mason bees but they didn't have the white bum.

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

we have masonry bees that keep trying to get in gaps on our south facing wall so we decided to get a bee house for them, this soon got full so i had to build an extension for them.

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG