Growing mushrooms

Guest cookoff013

14 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

There was an episode of river cottage where Hugh was brought a log that was all ready to go to grow. Holes had been drilled in and it had little dowels inserted in.

From what I remember once it was in the ground you just let it get on with growing.

We've done this at our woodland.  I think that it can sometimes take up to five years before seeing any results.

14 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Ah ok I didn't realise they could take so long, I wouldn't mind one myself to be honest. 

I took advice from my stepson , he used to grow expensive mushrooms,  and sell them to the owner of the posh restaurant where he worked as a chef. 

We infected freshly cut oak logs , with native fungi.  As yet we've seen no signs of a mushroom payout.

Mushroom season is only around the corner a lot of people are finding good amounts of chicken of the woods etc & puffballs already I would grab a couple good books & go for a stroll in the local woods plenty of good mushroom foraging groups on facebook for advice & helping identifying them 

Grew them once from a kit,...I got 3 altogether.

The bottom picture looks like 'Earth Balls', inedible.

I used to pick Birch Boletus from under the trees near me, fry them up with garlic and butter!

I was reading a book the other day that said you should shake the mushroom over the ground after picking it to spread the spores, dont know how true that is.

Have done for years, Shiitake and Oyster varieties are easiest. Well worth it and you'll be able to grow what you can't buy - dinner plate sized oysters and with a little skill you'll be able to grow low temperature shiitake versions with a flavour that will blow away anything you've previously had. You can get really decent yields as well. PM me for a few extra details and a bit of guidance and then I can signpost you to my spawn supplier and his continually upgraded growing guides. I'll add some real world experience and other methods.

My father used to grow them - and had mushroom beds in an old low ceilinged brick built pigsty.  He managed to get some, but never reliably.  His view (if I remember right as this was 50 years ago) was that there was only a short period when the temperature/humidity was right (without assistance) in the UK.  It wasn't one of his great successes!

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if your near a mushroom grower buy some bags of old compost and spread on a nice grass area and  don't forget to water in 🤔😁 then sit back and wait till Autumn

That's what my late father did. Except in otherwise redundant cold frames. That way you know as near 100% as possible that what comes up is safe and edible.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

That's what my late father did. Except in otherwise redundant cold frames. That way you know as near 100% as possible that what comes up is safe and edible.

Hello, it's a shame you don't find many wild mushrooms growing in the grass fields, maybe all the chemical spraying ??,