What does "P" signify within 12 Gauge-P Full Choke ?

Keith RW

35 minutes ago, Keith RW said:

nearest I've come to so far as well

Turkey is american slang for tighter than 1 1/4 choke.....or super full.........as said im guessing...........ive had a trawl on the net and so far nothing...i was interested as my rifles and shotguns whilst i was living in Florida were all Harriington & Richardson

P for pass shooting sounds good...................where as in the UK we refer to it "as shooting them up the ****".............which isnt very refined

Edited by ditchman

just been researching Turkey choke or Super full.............very surprised....think i have understood it ...as follows

"the difference between cylinder and full choke is .030"..........and turkey or superful diference is a further .030"...........tighter

err like wow ...if that is the case that is tight

has anyone patterned super full or turkey ?

On 07/06/2021 at 22:33, ditchman said:

Turkey is american slang for tighter than 1 1/4 choke.....or super full.........as said im guessing...........ive had a trawl on the net and so far nothing...i was interested as my rifles and shotguns whilst i was living in Florida were all Harriington & Richardson

P for pass shooting sounds good...................where as in the UK we refer to it "as shooting them up the ****".............which isnt very refined

Decorum, please - 'Texas heart shot'

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, does it have to much choke for your type of shooting ?

Not at all, recently picked this up with some other from a friend that has not shot for 25 years and has finally given up shooting, this will make a good sit around, walk around the pens gun when baby sitting pheasant poults with a number 4 in the breech ready for when fox show up as they often do.

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

just been researching Turkey choke or Super full.............very surprised....think i have understood it ...as follows

"the difference between cylinder and full choke is .030"..........and turkey or superful diference is a further .030"...........tighter

err like wow ...if that is the case that is tight

has anyone patterned super full or turkey ?

Plan to do this at the weekend if I can pick some decent size card up meanwhile

took a shot with it last weekend after cleaning and servicing it just to put a cartridge through it to try it out for aim and kick with it being a light gun and realised straight away why they fitted a very thick rubber butt pad, 32gm No5 kicked more than anything else I've shot, felt like a magnum load.

shot a pop can at 30yd and quite impressed with number of shot on target which was around 20 pellets, will be able to assess better on card next time out

all part of the fun

47 minutes ago, Keith RW said:

No problem, I will post them as soon as done, good to see there is an interest in all things slightly "different"...  its what keeps me interested in the sport

the first 12 bore i had was an AYA Cosmos..32" barrell and what i was told was 1 1/4 choke....used to fire paper grand prix thro it....that bloody thing kicked an all:lol:

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

the first 12 bore i had was an AYA Cosmos..32" barrell and what i was told was 1 1/4 choke....used to fire paper grand prix thro it....that bloody thing kicked an all:lol:

got some paper grand prix 32gm No7 and 30gm No6 here that I intend to try with this as after servicing it last weekend  it wouldn't eject spent plastic cases of any brand so will stick with paper carts with this one....

also got some Gamebore Regal paper 30gm No 5 to pattern it with at the weekend now that I have some card 🙂 the same cart as I first put through it the other day

single barrell shotguns are not known for their unfailing ejection abilities...something to do with the size of the 1/4 moon ejection rib....my cosmos was awful at ejecting...good spring tension....just wouldnt grab enough of the rim of the cartridge to throw it out everytime