New Defender on test

Mightymariner

Had this on a day-long test last week. Really impressive. Incredibly capable. Interior fantastic.

I had a look at the 90 commercial which is the cheapest model, not masses of space but some clever storage ideas.

Probably too nice for me.

Dealer said they had three delivered recently and sold all within three hours.

thumbnail_IMG_2025.jpg

16 hours ago, countryman said:

I still can’t get my head around the new Defender, if it proves to be reliable and not suffer from electrical gremlins I may get one later. I think considering what they cost you would be a brave boy to buy one at the moment.

You’d be brave to buy one out of warranty! 

I do like the shape of them MM and that green appeals to me.

I watch 'Harry's Farm' on tubeyou and I think this may be the same vehicle he reviewed, it certainly appears capable. If I recall, the model starts around the 60k mark and the one in the video had upgrades which I think took it up around the 80k mark. 

I wonder what the cost per hour would be out of warranty if something went amiss?

I put a link below.

I appreciate that the new defender looks are very appealing but if I was looking at a commercial version I think a Toyota Landcruiser Commercial would make more sense both from a reliability and price point of view.

The LC comes in a base spec with a manual gear box or Active Spec with an auto box and more kit

The LC is available in both SWB and LWB

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2021 at 09:54, Fishing Richie said:

I appreciate that the new defender looks are very appealing but if I was looking at a commercial version I think a Toyota Landcruiser Commercial would make more sense both from a reliability and price point of view.

The LC comes in a base spec with a manual gear box or Active Spec with an auto box and more kit

The LC is available in both SWB and LWB

Spot on. Don't think that's really JLR market these days tho.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2021 at 15:14, ditchman said:

lets see how reliable they are............every new model i had spent alot of time in the garage on warranty jobs.........

time will tell

Strip every thing electrical off it except the lights and it may last a couple of months . I would still carry a bucket of fuses in the glove box .

harnser

• 3 weeks later...

In sure the townies and londoners will love them 

On 07/08/2021 at 20:24, CountryBoyTweed said:

I won't be trading either of my vehicles in for the new defender any time soon. No doubt it's a cracking modern SUV, but it's not in the same league as other body on frame work-horses. 

3a0ffdd1-1938-4f22-acdc-e43473a26e15.jpeg.9b35ff5c8bccf09131e34f4c71539b54.jpeg

74F6A5C7-76BB-4985-B378-1E9B7CB84255_1_201_a.jpeg.b3e778c8ad24ba9ee45fa2b724dc612e.jpeg

How you liking the jimny?

On 23/08/2021 at 18:03, DannyS said:

In sure the townies and londoners will love them 

How you liking the jimny?

The Jimny is a cracking little truck, very capable. It's my daily and offers more creature comforts and toys than the Land Rover. It's the SZ5 spec with the bells and whistles. One major drawback is that it is a little compact.. it's a jimny after all! But it's size means I can take it places I wouldn't take the landrover and it's great around town. 

Edited by CountryBoyTweed

On 24/08/2021 at 20:54, CountryBoyTweed said:

The Jimny is a cracking little truck, very capable. It's my daily and offers more creature comforts and toys than the Land Rover. It's the SZ5 spec with the bells and whistles. One major drawback is that it is a little compact.. it's a jimny after all! But it's size means I can take it places I wouldn't take the landrover and it's great around town. 

I like them just want it bigger all round then I could think about 1.

New defender is awesome but my wife's disco sport is also impressive. I still wonder about durability particularly if you use the car. 

On 08/06/2021 at 21:30, countryman said:

I think considering what they cost you would be a brave boy to buy one at the moment.

You have always had to be a brave optimist to buy any Land Rover so nothing new there. Marmite cars, you either love them or hate them

Edited by Vince Green