Pheasant breasts

Walker570

Thanks, yes, I have those copper sheets on my barbie which cook stuff so well. No sticking etc but will still put those lovely brown streaks on the finished job.  I have a few ideas for a marinade but apple juice seems to come out tops with whatver other herbs etc you feel you would enjoy.  I have a bottle of mango and orange sauce from Stokes which I am tempted to try but think that would be better spread on a nice mixed fruit salad.  Anyway we have 10 days to try a sample before entertaining friends the day we should all be getting back to normal.   I normally slice the breasts in1/4 inch slices and stir fry them in butter and garlic with a sprinkle of Tony C's cajun mix. I might just slice the breast part way through before marinating.  Got my helper come builder coming in this week to build a new hot plate and small burner area in our barbecue area.

Simple gas burner under a steel plate about 2ft by 18 8inches and then a small gas ring alongside for preparing sauces etc.   Photos when it is in place.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Anyone barbecued pheasant breasts. I still have a fair few in the freezer and fancied marinating the breast then putting them on the barbecue grill.

i have heard of more and more of recently..........of what we used to do in Africa..........and that is to BBQ marinated meat straight ontop of white coals...not on a wire grill.....it is also common for the french to cook fillet steak ontop of dried grapevine wood when it has burnt to charcoal..........im no fan of fillet....but i think it tastes far better that way...

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks, yes, I have those copper sheets on my barbie which cook stuff so well. No sticking etc but will still put those lovely brown streaks on the finished job.  I have a few ideas for a marinade but apple juice seems to come out tops with whatver other herbs etc you feel you would enjoy.  I have a bottle of mango and orange sauce from Stokes which I am tempted to try but think that would be better spread on a nice mixed fruit salad.  Anyway we have 10 days to try a sample before entertaining friends the day we should all be getting back to normal.   I normally slice the breasts in1/4 inch slices and stir fry them in butter and garlic with a sprinkle of Tony C's cajun mix. I might just slice the breast part way through before marinating.  Got my helper come builder coming in this week to build a new hot plate and small burner area in our barbecue area.

Simple gas burner under a steel plate about 2ft by 18 8inches and then a small gas ring alongside for preparing sauces etc.   Photos when it is in place.

Have you ever watched the engineering guy "AVE" on YouTube? He made a cracking hotplate by milling out a 1 inch piece of steel,  probably better than most restaurant ones in my opinion

No have not seen that. Mine is a simple sheet of 1/4 plate with a gas burner underneath. It's main use is to keep things warm should anyone need seconds. The small burner alongside is for preparation of gravies etc.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i have heard of more and more of recently..........of what we used to do in Africa..........and that is to BBQ marinated meat straight ontop of white coals...not on a wire grill.....it is also common for the french to cook fillet steak ontop of dried grapevine wood when it has burnt to charcoal..........im no fan of fillet....but i think it tastes far better that way...

The way we kids used to bake potatoes in a fire way back when. Awesome.

20 hours ago, ditchman said:

Ditchy, does the meat not stick onto the coals?

The French have an unusual way for cooking mussels, among others, they put stack of scrunched up newspaper on a wooden board and arrange the mussels in a circular spiral formation with the shell 'hinge' facing upwards. They are then covered with a lot of dried seaweed or dried tinder and set alight. They are ready within a few minutes of baking in the fierce heat.

Well I have two pieces of breast meat marinading in a mix of cummin, smoked paprika, oregano, celery salt, a small amount of veg oil and a splash of cider vinegar.  Intend leaving it until tomorrow evening and then i will grill them on the barbecue.  Mixed veges with new potatoes boiled then cut into pieces and fried until brown and caramalised on the outside.

Aldi do packs of ready prepared mixed veg which are first class. No mess straight in the boiling water.  Similarly they do packs of fruit salad and I have a bottle of Stokes Mango and Orange sauce to pour over that.