Deafness

Im guessing a few on here are a bit deaf due to youth of unprotected shooting.  I have almost no hearing in my left ear and tinnitus, my question is, if you are deaf are you affected in the left or right ear...... [or perhaps my deafness due to not paying heed to the warnings of "if you keep doing that you will go deaf"..😉

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

I thought the saying was “you will go blind”?

Yes, I am a right handed shooter and shot for years without ear protection, although I am not deaf, hearing in my left ear is far worse than my right.

Your right, I blame senility and poor eyesight 

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Both. Sitting in the driving seat just in front of a couple of Spey or Adour engines at up to max military power doesn't help. The hearing loss is no way compensated for by some £650 odd every four weeks.

Hm that would work, I also spent most of my working youth driving tractors as a contractor, a Muir Hill 161 with a large chisel plough behind didn't help

Partialy deaf in both ears but Left is worst due to a SLR discharge against it. Rest of hearing loss is Shotguns, Bren and GPMG plus the odd Carlie G trench clearing. Noise so loud I've had my eyes, ears and nose running. I have tinnitus but not constantly. I also have Meniere's which is related.

Didn't start wearing ear defence till the 90s when the Army lost crown immunity and then it was heavily pushed, we even had ear defenders issued.

This coming Sunday CFG are coming to my home for a fitting to save what's left. 

32 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have friends who have shot more/longer than me and still use no ear protection who can hear a pin drop at 100 yards.

but cant hear those imortal words..(whose round is it"

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

About the same time she went off sex?

its what they put in wedding cake .............it is a slowish poison........said to effect the sex drive of a woman fairly quickly.......so much so it constricts the throat so she has difficulty swallowing

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

but cant hear those imortal words..(whose round is it"

its what they put in wedding cake .............it is a slowish poison........said to effect the sex drive of a woman fairly quickly.......so much so it constricts the throat so she has difficulty swallowing

They had ran out of it when I made my wedding cake. 😘😚

My hearing isn't too bad I think. but do suffer with tinnitus I think (should get checked). I have found that when using a 357 revolver and forgetting the ear defenders its my left ear that is affected most even though I am right handed!

Almost totally eaf in my left ear and without doubt my right is also getting fainter but that is after some 70 years of shooting shotguns and certainly thre first 25 with no protection at all. Muffs for my clay shooting days but never worn anyhting for walked up days and only purchased in ear protection about 10 years ago.

Sometimes it is a nuisance but sometimes it is handy.

Always have worn ear protection even in the army but smashing my head against a turret in the Army damaged my left ear, lost my balance for a week and left with slight loss of hearing and very loud tinnitus. a lot of Sappers tend to be a bit deaf,playing with plastic explosives is fun though . 

I am my own worse enemy , I know I should wear ear protection but have more or less got away with it for over half a century , in my early days I used road drills to break concrete up with no protection , also shot a fair bit again with no ear protection , I then signed up for nine years in the R N , passed all my medicals and went in , moving on 2 1/2 years I had to go to a hospital in Plymouth for a medical as the ship we were going on was going to the West Indies or somewhere out that way and this was when they first detected I had a hearing problem , I was in gunnary at the time and they advised me to change into another branch as the guns would do to much damage on my hearing , I tried Radar and didn't like it and a few months later my navy days had come to a end .

Now 40 odd years later and having fired many 1000s of cartridges I can still hear geese miles away before I can see them and Widgeon at night coming into a splash of water , now I am in the final years of my shotgun shooting I can't see myself bothering with ear defenders now , like I said earlier , I am my own worst enemy . 

Always wore ear protection in machinery spaces in the forces as I was a marine engineer, but burst an ear drum when getting an emergency pump ready and 3" rockets and 4.5" gun opened up. Doesn't seem to bother me too much but I prefer the TV or radio volume higher than my wife does.

I have recently had a flyer through the door about forces personnel and deafness or loss of hearing but I don't think I would qualify.