Best First Shotgun For A Junior? Yildiz SPZ

bev6345

How nice...and excellent news for the future of our "game"...to see a young lad enjoying shooting. And well done Dad for setting him up with a 28 bore and your sensible opinion on the .410"! Good Luck to the young man! May I offer one piece of well intentioned advice? If it is a simple change on/change off? Get the adult length stock for the future and put if safely aside for when he's fully grown. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Yep, nice little gun. I have been shooting the 410 version for almost 5 seasons, avg 23-24 days and only this last season did it start to light fire. Just collected it today after a new set of springs fitted and hopefully back to normal.  I have purchased a similar second gun so I can shoot double gun or as a back up.

Good to start on the 28g. I am against starting youngsters on 410s.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, nice little gun. I have been shooting the 410 version for almost 5 seasons, avg 23-24 days and only this last season did it start to light fire. Just collected it today after a new set of springs fitted and hopefully back to normal.  I have purchased a similar second gun so I can shoot double gun or as a back up.

Good to start on the 28g. I am against starting youngsters on 410s.

I agree wholeheartedly with that, but almost every week I see youngsters with a  single barrel .410", most of which are full choked.

I dont agree .

I feel that as long as the ranges are kept to sub 30 yds  preferably  25 .then the .410 fully choked should shoot a pattern roughly the same width as a 12 or 20 b .yes 19 grm of no6 shot will have less holes  than 28 grm of no 6 .but .there will still be enough  to kill a pigeon or break a clay at 25 /30 yds .and the MASSIVE ADVANTAGE  the kid has is that he can handle the gun .and learn to to it within his and its limits  .

Not so easy with a big heavy long gun .

The 28 b in question is a great option though. 

Over the last 10 years I have shot a 410 almost exclusively and both on birds and on the pattern plate it has become obvious to me that to get sufficient density in the pattern out at 35-40yrds 3/4 or better still full chokes are required. My Yilditz prints a very consistent pattern 30 inches in diameter at a measured 35yrds.  Now that is fine but often a bird is only 25yrds or even 20yrds away which then brings that pattern down to around 18 inches.  Out to that range the 3 inch cartridge has plenty of penetration.

This is the sole reason it is not a beginners gauge and to be succesful you need to be a very competent shot.  It is great fun to shoot though.

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I dont agree .

I feel that as long as the ranges are kept to sub 30 yds  preferably  25 .then the .410 fully choked should shoot a pattern roughly the same width as a 12 or 20 b .yes 19 grm of no6 shot will have less holes  than 28 grm of no 6 .but .there will still be enough  to kill a pigeon or break a clay at 25 /30 yds .and the MASSIVE ADVANTAGE  the kid has is that he can handle the gun .and learn to to it within his and its limits  .

Not so easy with a big heavy long gun .

The 28 b in question is a great option though. 

This is the correct answer.  For a youngster, it is not necessarily about hitting targets be they game or clays.  It is about being able to hold and handle a shotgun for long enough periods to practise.  Targets can be tailored to suit the gun's and shooter's ability to sustain enough interest.  With a larger gauge, the weight also increases and little arms soon get tired.  My son took a while to shoot some of the heavier loads from his Yildiz .410 as he wasn't keen on the recoil.  At 13, he moved up to an Armsan 612 and loves it - lightweight and very soft recoiling.

Kind regards,

Tim