Cement

Walker570

There's been a fair bit in the news about shortages (thus making the shortages worse) so I was surprised to see my local stores have a good supply.

At least the local DIY sheds (Wickes for example) have fairly accurate online stock checking which saves phone calls and trips.

In Essex most places that I use have restricted the purchase of cement to ten bags, not much use to me really unless I want to go to multiple suppliers every day or so, I was told by one supplier that it was a shortage of plastic for packaging and not the actual cement that was in short supply…how true that is I don’t know. Haven’t hD any issues getting sharp, ballast, recycled ballast or type 1 

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's a wonder that Brexit has not been mentioned, 

It has

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

In the North West we have shortages of cement, timber, plastic and glass for construction. Triple whammy of reduced CV-19 production, increased demand for domestic residential construction, reduced imports due to Suez Canal and BREXIT teething issues. 

On 10/06/2021 at 06:54, Walker570 said:

Serious shortage around here, anybody any idea why?

There's a national cement shortage at the moment,  it's being going on since the beginning of the year. 

My son runs a ready mix plant in Nottingham and although he uses several differant suppliers all are complaining of the same thing. Plus they supply their own ready mix plants first in preference. He has stopped doing ready mix on Saturdays now and is reluctant to take on huge pours unless he has a guarantee of supply. The price has also dramatically increased too.

We have contacts in ready mix all over the UK, some who even run their own bulk powder tankers. No one can produce to current demand and prices are climbing.

Only needed a small amount so did manage to get three bags of ready mix from Build Base.    Now my local supplier cannot get LPG, he has been told something about it coming from Europe.  Amazing how the High & Mighty can find their way to Cornwall but we normal people cannot get everyday requirements.

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Is there a single man in the country that genuinely believes HS2 will be good for anything? Such wanton destruction for a white elephant 😔

Biggest pile of BS this country has so called invested in, cant say anymore. 

On 10/06/2021 at 20:11, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, typical here is Stanford quarry where you take your own trailer and fill up then get it weighed and pay, it works out quite a bit cheaper the the builders merchants

There’s one 2 miles away but won’t deal with local villagers as their incinerator plans got stopped due to the pollution effects and the locals monitor the Test for when they leak stuff in. All very petty but I’d rather pay more than deal with companies like that anyway. 

47 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

There’s one 2 miles away but won’t deal with local villagers as their incinerator plans got stopped due to the pollution effects and the locals monitor the Test for when they leak stuff in. All very petty but I’d rather pay more than deal with companies like that anyway. 

Ok hope you get sorted

Shortages or delays on a lot of materials at present and prices only going up,so much work coming in, busiest I've been in 21 years since starting company, am well behind and not even returning quotes at present.

Labour shortages mean hourly rates rising nicely.An estate agent here only had one property on their books unsold,madness.