Speed on green

WalkedUp

I got caught at 50mph on a dual carriageway with a speed limit set at 40mph. I am annoyed with myself as it’s 3 points and a fine but more importantly I hate speeding. I was late for a meeting due to a client delaying me and so made up the time on route. 

The reason I am posting is that it was only a traffic light camera there! I have discovered through stupidity that they are dual function now so even though the light was on green it still clocked my speed as I put my foot down to ensure it didn’t change to red and delay me further. Just thought I would post it to here so people are aware and don’t make the same mistake I did.  Some will say posting this helps offenders avoid prosecution however I would see it as helping people to avoid breaking the law.

If the “Safety cameras” purpose is to reduce accidents then by highlighting its position you are making the road safer.

People will likely slow down now making that accident black spot less dangerous.

By not making its presence perfectly clear in the first place, which would actively encourage you to be aware of your speed, you can see why people might reach the conclusion that these “Safety Cameras” are in fact just there to generate revenue…….

Its still your fault for speeding!

No offer of doing the speed awareness course?

I know a lot of people personally that harp on about police hiding in bushes with their speed guns but in truth if you are within the speed limits what does it matter where they may be lurking?

In fairness though it is very easy to stray over the limit, especially with today's larger and more powerful cars, doing 40mph may feel like you're  sitting still on a dual carriageway.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

No offer of doing the speed awareness course?

I know a lot of people personally that harp on about police hiding in bushes with their speed guns but in truth if you are within the speed limits what does it matter where they may be lurking?

In fairness though it is very easy to stray over the limit, especially with today's larger and more powerful cars, doing 40mph may feel like you're  sitting still on a dual carriageway.

There were no Police hiding in the bushes, the OP sped up to beat the lights and got caught.

It is either lesson learned or get caught again.

34 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Assume their were signs warning you of speed cameras? I though all fixed speed cameras had to be yellow and visible not hidden within a traffic light system. 

Ive seen plenty of grey and blue ones around the country , I think it depends on the county if theyre visible or not, they certainly dont have to be in law, the signs are there to warn you.
There doesnt have to be signs warning you of mobile speed cameras, so be aware of that.

Also the dual purpose cameras that caught out Walked up have been around at least 8 years, I know because theres a set at the end of my road to work, and a very lucrative set they are too !

30 minutes ago, countryman said:

I never knew there were speed cameras built in traffic lights , thanks for the heads up.

No neither did I , mind you It do take a while for these new inventions reaching our county , it only seemed like a year or two ago since we saw the first un maned traffic lights , now there all over the place :lol:

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Ive seen plenty of grey and blue ones around the country , I think it depends on the county if theyre visible or not, they certainly dont have to be in law, the signs are there to warn you.
There doesnt have to be signs warning you of mobile speed cameras, so be aware of that.

Also the dual purpose cameras that caught out Walked up have been around at least 8 years, I know because theres a set at the end of my road to work, and a very lucrative set they are too !

interesting 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/end-of-the-road-for-grey-speed-cameras

• 2 weeks later...

I have been offered a speed awareness course fortunately! A considerable let off, however with this looming over me I have been sticking to the speed limit (or lower) even in “stupid” places, 30mph in a four lane tunnel with lane control and no pedestrians et cetera. I will continue to do so, it’s a good habit to keep. 

35 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I have been offered a speed awareness course fortunately! A considerable let off, however with this looming over me I have been sticking to the speed limit (or lower) even in “stupid” places, 30mph in a four lane tunnel with lane control and no pedestrians et cetera. I will continue to do so, it’s a good habit to keep. 

A problem may be that you now might find yourself looking at the speedometer rather than the road. Which tends to negate any safety advantage from travelling more slowly!

4 hours ago, London Best said:

A problem may be that you now might find yourself looking at the speedometer rather than the road. Which tends to negate any safety advantage from travelling more slowly!

I find that using my Navman SATNAV which notes the local speed limit and beeps when I exceed it enables me to stay legal

7 hours ago, amateur said:

I find that using my Navman SATNAV which notes the local speed limit and beeps when I exceed it enables me to stay legal

The Satnav often bleeps at me, the trouble with modern cars is that you hardly know you are moving and we really need something like this to keep us focussed. 

18 hours ago, amateur said:

When I was instructing HGV I used to advise my new drivers to purchase a Tom-tom and have it bleep at the speed limit. This allows you to concentrate on your driving and surroundings without constantly checking instruments.

When I set my son on as an instructor he found it a distraction and a nuisance.

Nowadays I prefer the digital speedo rather than needle type as I find satnavs annoying.

Different people different solutions.