FYI, Flying Scotsman.

twenty

Anyone wanting to view this iconic engine, Tomorrow (Saturday 12th June), The Scotsman is departing London Paddington around 7.40am, and making its way to Worcester Shrub Hill..............Using the GWR line it will pass/call at Slough, Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Kemble, Cheltenham Spa and Worcester.

It then makes the return journey to London in the late afternoon.

For more info call, The Railway Touring Company on ( 01553 661500 )

38 minutes ago, twenty said:

Anyone wanting to view this iconic engine, Tomorrow (Saturday 12th June), The Scotsman is departing London Paddington around 7.40am, and making its way to Worcester Shrub Hill..............Using the GWR line it will pass/call at Slough, Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Kemble, Cheltenham Spa and Worcester.

Hello, shame it's not Sunday , it will pass my friends farm, mind you bit early for me, 🙄

On 11/06/2021 at 12:11, JohnfromUK said:

Passes within easy sight of me.  we get (in a 'normal' year) several steam drawn specials passing every year.

Ditto. The Carlisle-Settle line has often hosted steamers, including the Flying Scotsman, including one time in its matt black war livery if I recall. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Ditto. The Carlisle-Settle line has often hosted steamers, including the Flying Scotsman, including one time in its matt black war livery if I recall. 

My mate Sheila sadly died about three or four years ago.
Had a couple of good claims to fame - she was married to a WW2 Lancaster pilot from 617 Squadron - and her dad was the driver of the Flying Scotsman during WW2.
She had a few good tales about his exploits during air raids, etc.

10 minutes ago, saddler said:

My mate Sheila sadly died about three or four years ago.
Had a couple of good claims to fame - she was married to a WW2 Lancaster pilot from 617 Squadron - and her dad was the driver of the Flying Scotsman during WW2.
She had a few good tales about his exploits during air raids, etc.

Sounds like an interesting woman. 🙂

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Great pictures 

Thank you.

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

Man I’d love to see that

We usually get about half a dozen or more steam 'excursions' past every summer.  You can travel on them (yesterdays was a day trip out from Paddington, London) and would have done a loop of 250 miles or so - 12 coaches travelling up to 60 miles an hour.  Couple more photos, not mine, but taken locally.

FS 1.jpg

FS 2.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thank you.

We usually get about half a dozen or more steam 'excursions' past every summer.  You can travel on them (yesterdays was a day trip out from Paddington, London) and would have done a loop of 250 miles or so - 12 coaches travelling up to 60 miles an hour.  Couple more photos, not mine, but taken locally.

FS 1.jpg

FS 2.jpg

Not as streamlined or Art Deco but this is the closest steamer near me. It winds through the smokie mountains Steam-first-run-11a.png

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I love the ‘cow catcher’ on your trains. We don’t have those.

We could do with them at times, we had a 221 go through 5-6 cattle at around 80 mph, very lucky not to derail. The damage was intensive to say the least. 

Brilliant to see the Flying Scotsman pictures, the Voyager's i work on are extremely boring and all look the same, steam has so much more character and warmth.  

On 13/06/2021 at 06:51, London Best said:

From what I have seen U.S. trains, especially goods, only seem to travel at about 15mph so cow catchers would work. Do you have any fast trains?

In the cities the trains get pretty fast.  When I was up north a while back the train had a speedometer in the car and we ran 140-150mph. But that’s out in the open or when we were elevated.  We slowed down to about 65mph when we were crossing roads and stuff.  That was when I was in Connecticut or NewYork.  Most freight trains travel 65-80.  But in America the long distance passenger trains are borderline deserted.  Nobody travels by train because most of our cities are spread out.  So if you take a train into the city you will need to rent a car.  So people just drive to the city.  Or if the city is really far away they fly in.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

On 11/06/2021 at 07:32, twenty said:

Hello, how did your day go on the Flying Scotsman ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how did your day go on the Flying Scotsman ?

Unfortunately I was only a spectator as it passed through Gloucestershire, I would like to travel on it though, I've been on a few steam train journeys, Dartmouth, Minehead, Forest of Dean, Severn Valley,  and have enjoyed them.

All the best.

1 hour ago, twenty said:

Unfortunately I was only a spectator as it passed through Gloucestershire, I would like to travel on it though, I've been on a few steam train journeys, Dartmouth, Minehead, Forest of Dean, Severn Valley,  and have enjoyed them.

All the best.

Hello, I have seen this train a few times, but I grew up in the 1960s when steam trains were common place, we even had our own station until Mr Beeching came along, 🙄