Jump to content

Let em fly? or Bin em?


Recommended Posts

Just wondering what the norm is, or what is generally acceptable way to eject and dispose of your empty cartridges at the clay ground?

Im a catch and bin at the each stand kinda guy, with the odd one slipping past i always make the effort to pick it up and put it in the bin provided.

Ive been behind shooters that just let them fly over their shoulder without a problem. littering the floor on and around the stand. The Other shooters in the group that were binning didn't question them or raise the point. 

I got the impression the attitude was I'm paying to use the facility and part of that is the owners can pick them up, which is fair enough, but for me it just seemed unprofessional/amateur and untidy.

I may be way out on my thoughts but interested what everyone else does and thinks?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

used to shoot skeet alot twice a week......we had the range to ourself............always used to let em fly.......but at the end of the session we all went round and picked up our empties and every one elses...............its just that you get into a rythmn ....call...shoot...call....shoot ...eject....call.... shoot....eject......

obviously....doing this when you share the range is unacceptable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

used to shoot skeet alot twice a week......we had the range to ourself............always used to let em fly.......but at the end of the session we all went round and picked up our empties and every one elses...............its just that you get into a rythmn ....call...shoot...call....shoot ...eject....call.... shoot....eject......

obviously....doing this when you share the range is unacceptable

This I understand. And you’re holding the stands between yourselves as well. Makes total sense to do it your way. Then to clear up after is right. 
 

whereas on sporting stands where you shoot say 8 then leave for the next shooter I personally think is below par to leave empties. 
 

this isn’t a COVID related mention like the other post. But the points in the above link still stand. Bad etiquette and just lazy to leave empties. 
 

I was over at Catton Hall where I witnessed this by a group, in particular a bloke and his misses shooting nice pretty pink cartridges. Saw them littered on the ground on every single stand. Nice pretty pink empties 🤦🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ditchman said:

used to shoot skeet alot twice a week......we had the range to ourself............always used to let em fly.......but at the end of the session we all went round and picked up our empties and every one elses...............its just that you get into a rythmn ....call...shoot...call....shoot ...eject....call.... shoot....eject......

obviously....doing this when you share the range is unacceptable

Hello, we use to do this in the Oxford gun club including picking up after competitions and guest days, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not picking them up is just pathetic. Either catch and bin if you can, or collect afterwards. My brother shoots an SA so we carry a stick with a magnet and pick up every shell he fires.

It's a matter of attitude. Too many shooters treat clay grounds like practice for their "real" shooting, where someone else does the picking up for them. They're self important and not the best for the image of the sport, but they're usually "considerably richer than yow"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Controversial subject 

I take it most of you bought guns with ejectors? Why if you’re not going to eject the cartridges 

personally eject the cartridges and pick them up afterwards finding it immensely irritating when the following shooter attempts to catch them in mid air and then throw them in the bin which insistently is in front of you? Guns eject backwards 

 

I use clays as practice for game shooting and like to get into a rhythm I don’t know if I’m considerably (richer than yow) but I do know we are all individuals and as shooters we should respect the individual quirks of others 

ie blowing down the barrel after a shot 

Or placing the cartridges with the name at the chamber top

 

also easily count how many empties on the floor magnet stick pick up my 8/10 empties put in pocket take home to reload I do the same game shooting 

then offer my stick to anyone who seems to have forgot to tidy up there own empties 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Controversial subject 

I take it most of you bought guns with ejectors? Why if you’re not going to eject the cartridges 

personally eject the cartridges and pick them up afterwards finding it immensely irritating when the following shooter attempts to catch them in mid air and then throw them in the bin which insistently is in front of you? Guns eject backwards 

 

I use clays as practice for game shooting and like to get into a rhythm I don’t know if I’m considerably (richer than yow) but I do know we are all individuals and as shooters we should respect the individual quirks of others 

ie blowing down the barrel after a shot 

Or placing the cartridges with the name at the chamber top

 

also easily count how many empties on the floor magnet stick pick up my 8/10 empties put in pocket take home to reload I do the same game shooting 

then offer my stick to anyone who seems to have forgot to tidy up there own empties 

 

 

Point being you do actually pick them up if I read that right. I get we all have quirks, but we also should have manners and respect that we aren’t the only ones using the ground as it’s shared by others. As long as they end up in the bin by the person that brought them it’s all good for me. Don’t care how or when they get to the bin as long as they do 😉

Edited by TK421
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can`t see what is so difficult in breaking the gun & catching the empty cases in your hand & putting straight into a bin. Whenever I introduce someone to clay shooting I always show them how to do that too.

Dan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Can`t see what is so difficult in breaking the gun & catching the empty cases in your hand & putting straight into a bin. Whenever I introduce someone to clay shooting I always show them how to do that too.

Dan.

exactly what ive always taught anyone ive shot with, also how i was coached from the very first day. but then again i was always taught to put my rubbish in the bin :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

exactly what ive always taught anyone ive shot with, also how i was coached from the very first day. but then again i was always taught to put my rubbish in the bin :)

Does everyone you have coached or shot with have two fully functional hands?

if not how do you teach someone with one good hand and one party functioning to do this?

or should they eject and pick up afterwards?

9 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Can`t see what is so difficult in breaking the gun & catching the empty cases in your hand & putting straight into a bin. Whenever I introduce someone to clay shooting I always show them how to do that too.

Dan.

Same question for you please 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Does everyone you have coached or shot with have two fully functional hands?

if not how do you teach someone with one good hand and one party functioning to do this?

or should they eject and pick up afterwards?

Same question for you please 

one guy i got into the sport has no arms or legs and he catches them in his hat! 

But lets not get bogged down with who said what to whom, were all a bit covid crazy at the minute, so lets just breathe a little.

Of course anyone with disabilities would struggle, obviously. don't think anyone would disagree, in fact id be the first to pick them up after said person.

 

lets not get this all twisted up and out of context, i was referring to a group of perfectly abled bodied regular shooters, blatantly flinging carts on the floor and walking away leaving them on the ground on every single stand. that's it, nothing else to read into it, not pointing fingers at anyone else, im after opinions on if this is considered good conduct.  

 

As you were

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Does everyone you have coached or shot with have two fully functional hands?

if not how do you teach someone with one good hand and one party functioning to do this?

or should they eject and pick up afterwards?

Same question for you please 

Yes they all have so far. I`m happy to introduce people with one functioning hand if it ever happens. Since I have been shooting I have seen one person born without a hand shoot & another that had a hook type arrangement that he rested the forend of his gun into & he picked his empties up afterwards. I`m not sure what the other person did as I did not wait around long enough in the que to find out.

Dan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mullard83 said:

I`m not sure what the other person did as I did not wait around long enough in the que to find out.

 

lol 😀 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Yes they all have so far. I`m happy to introduce people with one functioning hand if it ever happens. Since I have been shooting I have seen one person born without a hand shoot & another that had a hook type arrangement that he rested the forend of his gun into & he picked his empties up afterwards. I`m not sure what the other person did as I did not wait around long enough in the que to find out.

Dan.

How do you propose to teach them to break the gun and catch the cartridges when you do get some one with the disability 

genuine question and interested in the solution as you can’t see what is difficult in breaking the gun and catching them and have successfully taught many people to do it 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

How do you propose to teach them to break the gun and catch the cartridges when you do get some one with the disability 

genuine question and interested in the solution as you can’t see what is difficult in breaking the gun and catching them and have successfully taught many people to do it 

 

 

Shoot a SA maybe?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My my this one will run and run.

Those who don't tidy up after themselves (either during or after) are people to avoid - only reason to speak to them is a quiet word in their shell-like if the poor attitude to extends to safety.

As for how to teach a shooter with disabilities - answer to that is it varies and you do what they do, adapt to suit.  No "one size fits all" style answer here.

36 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a very poor solution for someone who wishes to go onto dtl or game shooting 

Only if the shoot captain is unwilling to make an exception for those shooting an SA because of a disability! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not hard to place your hand over your ejectors and catch the spent cases. 
I find it quite annoying when I get to a stand and have to kick empties out of the way before I get my feet right. 
Last time at Southwaite a bloke just let them fly and walked away without a second glance. Mate said ‘it’s ok, we’ll pick em up’ , but if he heard he didn’t acknowledge it. 🤷‍♂️Just ignorant in my opinion.

I was always brought up to leave things as you found them, but that doesn’t stop us 
picking up others when we collect our own after using a SA.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

How do you propose to teach them to break the gun and catch the cartridges when you do get some one with the disability 

genuine question and interested in the solution as you can’t see what is difficult in breaking the gun and catching them and have successfully taught many people to do it 

 

 

Nobody has ever insinuated that catching is the only way to deal with empties. Picking them up afterwards has been mentioned several times. If you're capable of shooting, you're capable of putting your rubbish in the bin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Nobody has ever insinuated that catching is the only way to deal with empties. Picking them up afterwards has been mentioned several times. If you're capable of shooting, you're capable of putting your rubbish in the bin.

Possibly you missed the post that said it was simple to catch them 

agreed it’s not hard to pick them up afterwards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Possibly you missed the post that said it was simple to catch them 

agreed it’s not hard to pick them up afterwards 

I get you. I suppose for 90% of shooters tat would be the easiest way. The rest would do what suits them best.

My magnetic stick is just a spare magnet, cleaning rod and some electrical tape :D

As a mate of mine said about one group we followed around Park Lodge: "can afford a £25k gun (after one of them bragging off at every opportunity) but can't afford manners, and they cost nowt!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I get you. I suppose for 90% of shooters tat would be the easiest way. The rest would do what suits them best.

My magnetic stick is just a spare magnet, cleaning rod and some electrical tape :D

As a mate of mine said about one group we followed around Park Lodge: "can afford a £25k gun (after one of them bragging off at every opportunity) but can't afford manners, and they cost nowt!"

Agreed there’s a reason some have to eject the cases although the only excuse I can find for not picking them up is a wheelchair and forget the magnet stick 

or laziness 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...