Let em fly? or Bin em?

TK421

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Possibly you missed the post that said it was simple to catch them 

agreed it’s not hard to pick them up afterwards 

Still trying to understand what answer you're looking for, as every conceivable answer has been provided? The nature of any disability is that it is a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities? thus making it hard to, catch, pick up, bend down to collect cartridges, and id imagine in some cases even shoot and hold a shotgun. 

Nobody ever mentioned 'why do people with disabilities leave empties lying around' in this post, i certainly didn't and have also stated that i accept those with such disabilities will/should be accommodated for either by other fellow members and or the club they shoot at? 

Let's keep this on point and not twist the narrative into something that this isn't about. 

Peace and love

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This very subject is being discussed at CPSA board level and looks like it is going to be in the rules for CPSA registered shoots at some point soon. Not too sure how it is going to be enforced  if there is no penalty but hopefully referees can shame people to pick up after and point to rules to back them up.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/files/download/920/2021-February.pdf

page 5

CORRESPONDENCE SO explained a request for a change of rules for shooters to receive a penalty if they do not place their used shells in the bin. NH said it was a potential problem for auto shooters and not good to hold up the squad moving to the next stand while waiting for shooters to pick up cartridges. RF said from a shooter’s point of view, could not see why a shooter should not put cartridges in bins and from a ground owners’ point of view it would be something he would vote for as it causes a lot of work at the end of the day. JM said if it were to keep grounds tidy would it be a problem to make this a rule as FITASC already have this rule. NH asked if this was already in the CPSA rules. IP said no it wasn’t. JM- If it was made a rule then you have to have a penalty. RF suggested to put in the rules but not have a penalty. CS felt it was a good suggestion as it is not ideal to have empty cartridge cases in the stand as shooters step forward to shoot. IP agreed that making it a rule with no penalty was preferable as having a penalty makes it more complicated. CS agreed as having the rule would also give the referee a bit more authority. CA to write into the rules.

Years ago whilst referreeing at Sporting Targets I asked a squad to place their empty cartridges in the bins provided.

Some of them complained and the Ground Manager at the time, told me off, stating that they paid to drop the shells on the ground and someone else was paid to pick them up.

He is no longer the Manager

Pet hate, it's bad manners. Used to see it all the time, ejecting either into the chest to drop on the floor or over the shoulder at anyone behind him. And it was always a him. No attempt to catch or pickup despite how loud we pointed out where the bin was. Then you have to scrape around to get a decent footing or pick up his before you shoot. 

Rude

On 11/06/2021 at 11:45, Old farrier said:

I take it most of you bought guns with ejectors? Why if you’re not going to eject the cartridges 

I can't remember the last time I saw a modern gun that doesn't have them. It is also arguably quicker to eject into hand than use extractors. Especially when your fingers are cold.

On 11/06/2021 at 11:45, Old farrier said:

I use clays as practice for game shooting and like to get into a rhythm I don’t know if I’m considerably (richer than yow) but I do know we are all individuals and as shooters we should respect the individual quirks of others 

As much as I respect others who wish to do this, there has to be a level of mutual respect shown to other shooters and care in where the empty cartridges are going.

Last year I was squadded with a game shooter, shooting in a rhythm much like yours. Whilst buttoning, I was hit twice in the face by his ejected cartridges and he was blaming me. I guess he expected to press the fixed button box then immediately run and hide.

He had no intention of ejecting in a safe direction, to be careful of who was around him, or of picking up after himself. That was the only round I walked off half way through because I couldn't stand another minute being with a ***** of a shooter.

I'm sure you have more sense and respect than him, but he is why people look down on others who eject cartridges.

20 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a modern gun that doesn't have them. It is also arguably quicker to eject into hand than use extractors. Especially when your fingers are cold.

As much as I respect others who wish to do this, there has to be a level of mutual respect shown to other shooters and care in where the empty cartridges are going.

Last year I was squadded with a game shooter, shooting in a rhythm much like yours. Whilst buttoning, I was hit twice in the face by his ejected cartridges and he was blaming me. I guess he expected to press the fixed button box then immediately run and hide.

He had no intention of ejecting in a safe direction, to be careful of who was around him, or of picking up after himself. That was the only round I walked off half way through because I couldn't stand another minute being with a ***** of a shooter.

I'm sure you have more sense and respect than him, but he is why people look down on others who eject cartridges.

Fully agree and aware of where my empties are going 
there’s another side to this 

It’s equally irritating for me having the following guys trying to catch the empties or tutting because I eject them or picking up my magnet stick I placed on the floor where the empties are going to land then putting 6 in the bin halfway through my 8/10 clay’s 

up until a few years ago I would have said it’s easy enough to put your hand over and catch and bin them things happen that makes me not say that anymore 

all the best 

of 

18 hours ago, Scully said:

Was at a comp’ yesterday which consisted of various flushes along with the usual on report/ sim’ pairs. On these stands everyone just let them fly, but it takes a bit of doing to remember to do so after catching them has become a habit. 🙂

It is indeed, I am unable to shoot a break opening gun without catching the fired cases and that includes my S x S game gun. In the case of the game gun, I use the empties to my advantage though. Shot bird empties go in front of me the misses are dropped behind me. I then know how many birds I have to pick up at the end of a drive.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

It is indeed, I am unable to shoot a break opening gun without catching the fired cases and that includes my S x S game gun. In the case of the game gun, I use the empties to my advantage though. Shot bird empties go in front of me the misses are dropped behind me. I then know how many birds I have to pick up at the end of a drive.

This my friend is genius, would work on clays as well. Like this idea 💡 

I always catch mine and throw them in the bin. A couple of weeks ago my gun wasn't  ejecting correctly.  One of the ejectors was missing!   Backtracked to previous stand where I had been ok, checked on the path and around the stand, nothing.  Then a fellow shooter asked me to repeat my ejection/binning routine. I had caught the ejector and thrown it in the bin!!

whoops

On 11/06/2021 at 16:37, timps said:

This very subject is being discussed at CPSA board level and looks like it is going to be in the rules for CPSA registered shoots at some point soon. Not too sure how it is going to be enforced  if there is no penalty but hopefully referees can shame people to pick up after and point to rules to back them up.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/files/download/920/2021-February.pdf

page 5

Bictsf, fitasc it is mandatory to put your empties in the bin, the penalties are quite harsh too, you will get one warning(a yellow card) any subsequent offences you will be deducted one shot.

4 hours ago, Westley said:

In the case of the game gun, I use the empties to my advantage though. Shot bird empties go in front of me the misses are dropped behind me. I then know how many birds I have to pick up at the end of a drive.

Good idea. It would work for me on driven pheasants, but on driven partridge where the birds come thick and fast I often shoot with two cartridges between the fingers of my left hand and your system would inevitably lead to a clusterkcuf! What I do is count running total hits each time I reload. I only tend to miscount if my wife is standing with me, helping!

5 hours ago, Westley said:

On a busy peg I just count each bird I’ve shot, and let the empties fly…..if I remember. 

16 hours ago, bunnykiller said:

Bictsf, fitasc it is mandatory to put your empties in the bin, the penalties are quite harsh too, you will get one warning(a yellow card) any subsequent offences you will be deducted one shot.

Having shot a bit of FITASC I like the card system, not too sure if it would transpose into un-squadded ESP shoots. However, reading the minutes of the CPSA meeting it looks like the CPSA are going with making it a rule but with no penalty which in my mind is just the same as having a sign saying “please put your empties in the bin” some will and some wont.

On 15/06/2021 at 20:06, London Best said:

Good idea. It would work for me on driven pheasants, but on driven partridge where the birds come thick and fast I often shoot with two cartridges between the fingers of my left hand and your system would inevitably lead to a clusterkcuf! What I do is count running total hits each time I reload. I only tend to miscount if my wife is standing with me, helping!

I have learned that no matter how 'thick and fast' they come, I still shoot at the same speed and use the cartridge trick. Being more 'deliberate' with my shooting leads to fewer misses. 

Strange behaviour from some clay shooters....but it does explain the reception/warm welcome I tend to get from clay grounds when I ask if I can take away fired hulls

Free reloading components for me, less mess/rubbish for them!
win win - though I tend to only grab the translucent cases, plus any non-12 bore types too

Behind a chap a while ago who, after each pair, shuffled forward a couple of paces to the bin, turned the gun round so the rib was facing away, ejected the empties into the bin (awkward manoeuvre with the muzzles pointing up), shuffled back into position, reset his feet, tried a couple of practice mounts and then reloaded. I ended up wishing he’d just let em fly.

3 hours ago, Townie said:

Behind a chap a while ago who, after each pair, shuffled forward a couple of paces to the bin, turned the gun round so the rib was facing away, ejected the empties into the bin (awkward manoeuvre with the muzzles pointing up), shuffled back into position, reset his feet, tried a couple of practice mounts and then reloaded. I ended up wishing he’d just let em fly.

I see this often, and cannot understand why they bother. It always looks to be novice shooters too.

It looks like far too much effort to me when they are trying to contort themselves to get the right angle, whilst simultaneously bashing their muzzle on the cage.

4 hours ago, Townie said:

Not at a registered competition I hope?