Shooting gun up or gun down

Stuarta

when clay shooting, usually sporting (not Fitasc,) I nearly always shoot gun-up, just under my designated pick up point as It's one part of the preparation for the shot that can be done before calling for the target (along with positioning  of feet,) it leaves valuable milliseconds free for other parts of the procedure. One exception is long incomers where I mount just as the bird comes into range.

When pigeon shooting I'll still shoot gun up with feet positioned correctly when I can - although "gun down" and feet at any point of the compass still applies when the little blighters take me by surprise.

I have started shooting gun slightly down. Like a soft mount I suppose.

I haven't heard many other people mention this - but I find with gun up I have X amount of seconds before I become increasingly aware of the barrel more so than the clay, which is not good - especially for a below average shot like myself.

With gun down I feel like I don't afford myself the luxury of noticing the massive gun in front of me for too long. Might just be me.

Edited by Sporting5

2 hours ago, Sporting5 said:

I have started shooting gun slightly down. Like a soft mount I suppose.

I haven't heard many other people mention this - but I find with gun up I have X amount of seconds before I become increasingly aware of the barrel more so than the clay, which is not good - especially for a below average shot like myself.

With gun down I feel like I don't afford myself the luxury of noticing the massive gun in front of me for too long. Might just be me.

Excellent. Watch the birdie not your barrels.  Shooting DTL back in the 70s I always ignore the gun once in my shoulder and concentrated on the front edge of the trap house then followed the bird and the gun 'normally' followed as if I was pointing a finger at it.  Guarantee if I saw the barrel I would miss behind.  No bragging but I was no slouch back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Read with interest because I shoot gun down. It makes my mount and swing far more fluid whereas I tend to poke if gun up. To avoid that, I sometimes shoot gun in shoulder but face off stock, moving my head to the stock as I swing. As people have said, it’s what works best for the individual.