Clarkson's farming programme on Amazon

chrisjpainter

Just finish watching and as mel b3 said best thing I've seen for a long time.  I think it showed farming to a large extent as it is and not as some would like you to think it is. He wasn't spending all his time trying to think of ways to poison the water or land he was trying to produce good food without killing the planet just like 99% of all farmers, he just has a few quid for else where to be able to do some of the things he did.

He has a good sized farm and although things didn't go as well as they might have if someone who knew about farming was running it it wasn't a bad stab at running a 1000 acre farm and he made £144.00 for the year! I think that may make a few people think about what the producers get paid compared to what the super markets make.

53 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I turned it off, after a lifetime of farming i found it a bit silly.

I can see your point and can understand to farmers that have struggled all their lives to make a go of what they have and don't have the endless amounts of cash to throw at projects and pay for help, it could  be annoying. but for me I was hooked, by the very first episode. This program has the right balance of humour, facts and reality to give a lot of town and city folk a good insight into farming and maybe even make them want to learn more. It shows  an entirely  different angle to farming that country file and its woke propaganda could never get across. I really hope that this program runs for a few more series before all his money runs out.

Is Caleb Gerald's son? Same surname.       

20 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

I can see your point and can understand to farmers that have struggled all their lives to make a go of what they have and don't have the endless amounts of cash to throw at projects and pay for help, it could  be annoying. but for me I was hooked, by the very first episode. This program has the right balance of humour, facts and reality to give a lot of town and city folk a good insight into farming and maybe even make them want to learn more. It shows  an entirely  different angle to farming that country file and its woke propaganda could never get across. I really hope that this program runs for a few more series before all his money runs out.

I found it hard to believe that he had lived on the farm for 10 years and didn't know what a drill was [anything was !] The farm had been managed for 10 years but didn't have any equipment. an analogy might be him owning a carpentry shop for 10 yrs and struggling to know what a plane was.. 

18 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

well spotted!! maybe a different relative though but that could be a twist.

The bit that got me was when he took the 3 sheep - that actually shook him when they were gone and you really felt for them like he did.

The was one thing though on the final figures - they clearly defined "arable" at £144 for the year. It didn't take into account other parts of the business

But I feel it was better than the Grand Tour TBH and I am a massive fan of the grumpy trinity

21 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I found it hard to believe that he had lived on the farm for 10 years and didn't know what a drill was [anything was !] The farm had been managed for 10 years but didn't have any equipment. an analogy might be him owning a carpentry shop for 10 yrs and struggling to know what a plane was.. 

You are absolutely right,  those that know about country life and him owning the farm for some time will need  to take the production and his dubious, ignorance with a pinch of salt, but it is what makes the program so charming and a great watch.   

30 minutes ago, discobob said:

well spotted!! maybe a different relative though but that could be a twist.

The bit that got me was when he took the 3 sheep - that actually shook him when they were gone and you really felt for them like he did.

The was one thing though on the final figures - they clearly defined "arable" at £144 for the year. It didn't take into account other parts of the business

But I feel it was better than the Grand Tour TBH and I am a massive fan of the grumpy trinity

I have got to episode 6 at the moment so might not have seen the years tally but with you 100% I think the three ewes did genuinely get to him and believed him when he told them he hadn't named them out loud. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

It's not a documentary about farming by a farmer. Its a program produced to catch viewers with humor and light hearted ignorance. 

Which I found entertaining and funny, also a little more added to my grey matter. 

I agree it's to catch and draw in an audience, but I do think he is genuinely wanting to make that farm work and is putting alot of effort into it. Clarkson will always be Clarkson. But I do think he wants the farm to work and he wants to work it.

5 hours ago, Mr gen said:

You are absolutely right,  those that know about country life and him owning the farm for some time will need  to take the production and his dubious, ignorance with a pinch of salt, but it is what makes the program so charming and a great watch.   

Indeed its TV,  appealing to the masses, I will have another watch

1 hour ago, roadkill said:

Will add it to my must watch list, currently watching our Yorkshire farm on channel five, this is also a very good farming series 

The Owens? One of our favourite programmes. Son has met her a few times as he works at Hawes market when he’s home from uni’. 
She isn’t very popular by some accounts. 

12 hours ago, cardigun said:

On top of his £144.00 profit on his farming, there is the "single farm payment" still to come.  On 1000 acres this will be quite a lot. Maybe someone can give us an idea ?  I expect it will run into 5 figures.

The £144 was purely on the crop side of things, to show how easy it is for it to go belly up.. that one field that got hit by beetle lost the farm 90k if you go by the previous years figures. 

The sheep probably lost him money. Then he has to pay the staff etc. He even admitted that he was lucky to have a film crew following him round and having money from the previous work on grand tour and top gear. 

But it does show that farming in the UK is a damn hard job...

I thoroughly enjoyed the series.  It is somewhat contrived and the actual economic picture probably quite different as using the farm as part of making a TV programme will probably make most of the expenses deductible from the TV programme income - so whilst it does show the economics and particularly economic risk of farming- it will be doing ‘all right’ for JC.

Nevertheless, a very good series in my view - and I hope they will do another.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I don’t watch television but having read about it here I thought I would watch it. I’ve watched episodes 1,2 & 4. Episode 3 is about diversification and I guess will involve that weird thin blonde woman so gave it a miss. There has not been much useful content so far, the drill automatically putting in tram lines excepted, and the pace / humour is a little slow for me.

It was fine, but too slow with the pratfalls and “emotion”. I doubt I will pick the series up again. 

Edited by WalkedUp