Thermal Spotter for Air gunners.

Longbower

👀

Just purchased and received, a HIK Micro 6mm thermal spotter . 

This one is the smallest in the HIK range , and  Aimed at Air gunners.

So far , after a week , I wasn't too impressed, but as time passed  using it , its getting slightly

better.  I will  report as forays in the dark return 

14 hours ago, Longbower said:

👀

Just purchased and received, a HIK Micro 6mm thermal spotter . 

This one is the smallest in the HIK range , and  Aimed at Air gunners.

So far , after a week , I wasn't too impressed, but as time passed  using it , its getting slightly

better.  I will  report as forays in the dark return 

What time of day have you tried using it?

My Pulsar is still working fine early mornings in the wood, but once the leaves start warming up they won't show you much.

Thursday morning I walked into the wood to fill a feeder but went back for the rifle because I could clearly see two squirrels moving around,  but by the naked eye all I could see was shadows,  lots of leaf cover but no direct sunlight at that point, day before I was struggling to find the shot squirrels because of the ground cover even with the thermal,  I was very close, bad angle etc.

Long bower- welcome to the thermal club!

Thermals do take a bit of practice and unfortunately summer is not the best time. At this time of year a dull overcast morning is best before the air temperature rises. Also practice spotting mammals, such as dogs etc as they give off a lot of heat (they will look like red hot radiators.

Don’t bother with birds at the moment as they are well insulated (robins are an exception). Once you get your eye in, you can then tell the difference between bids and mammals. Birds are greyish and mammals are red or solid white.

If your HikVision, shows lots of little crosses as alternate hot spots, see if you can switch them off as they are distracting.

I advised Mice to practice using the thermal to spot lady joggers in the park, but he was too much of a gentleman!

55 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

advised Mice to practice using the thermal to spot lady joggers in the park, but he was too much of a gentleman!

😅😅 I'm certainly not,  I just don't see many folk, certainly no one daft enough to jog up the hills I go.

I'm still getting really good reads from the song birds, pigeons are a nuisance because of the body shape and heat the body and head gives off, deer, voles, mice, bees and flies, but thankfully when you spot a squirrel it really stands out, unless its actually a deer further up the hill behind the trees your looking at, or a sheep 😅😅

Pleased with my Hik 6.

Spots heat blobs (rabbits and anything bigger) past my night rimfire range.

Then sometimes really struggle to find the above with the Pard 007 even off the rifle.

Much better/easier than torches

I do think I want a clearer view but really dont need it! For my use anyway.

Good luck with it.

The HIK 6 mm has such a low sensor resolution as to be virtually useless at identifying anything small  over 20 yards.

Anything smaller than a sheep or dog is just a blob after 50, it is really an airgun range spotter, but for the money , you cant really buy anything else.
Its a far better option to save up or splash out a bit more, and get something with a bigger lens and at least 388x288 sensor resolution.

Well , I sotted sheep in the field at 120 yds  (Daylight) , but they were just blobs.   Its only just about good enough for air gunners . You cant tell a rabbit from a hedgehog at 40 yards.  You are just aware something is there. I'm sure in a year or two's time there will be something much better for around the same price .

I have not used a bigger lens HIK , so sorry cant offer a comparison .