NHS Data sharing

Bobba

Not sure if this has been covered before. Couldn't find it. So here goes.

Despite GDPR et al, our wonderful Government has given the NHS permission to share all your personal health data with a 3rd party and sneakily not told anyone. You can however opt out should you wish to. Go to
https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/ where you can find information on how to opt out.  You will need your NHS number.  Not giving my data to some multi national where I have no say over how it is used.

I don't care very much what they do with my medical data and I've never understood why confidentiality is so vital that it has to be guarded better than Buckingham Palace. Most of the women I've ever come across are happy to spend hours and hours talking about their medical conditions with anyone who'll listen.

Your data isn't particularly safe right now anyway as every single clinician working in your doctor's surgery can access your medical file and the NHS already does data mining on patient records. 

45 minutes ago, Westward said:

I don't care very much what they do with my medical data and I've never understood why confidentiality is so vital that it has to be guarded better than Buckingham Palace. Most of the women I've ever come across are happy to spend hours and hours talking about their medical conditions with anyone who'll listen.

Your data isn't particularly safe right now anyway as every single clinician working in your doctor's surgery can access your medical file and the NHS already does data mining on patient records. 

You do you....

GDPR is there for a reason - so anyone ignoring it should be taken to task - irrespective of accessor from other parties/employees, whether they themselves treat the data as confidential or not - and if not then they should also be suitably taken to task...!

I'll take any option to keep my personal data private, though the bare facts most of us have no control over what gets used and where it ends up.   It's interesting (and scary) to Google one's name and place of residence and see how much is Google.

Enshrined in the GDPR regs is 'the right to be forgotten' easy to ask for, difficult to prove.

2 hours ago, saddler said:

You do you....

GDPR is there for a reason - so anyone ignoring it should be taken to task - irrespective of accessor from other parties/employees, whether they themselves treat the data as confidential or not - and if not then they should also be suitably taken to task...!

GDPR tends to be seen as some great leap forward whereas it's simply a highly publicised and cutely named reworking of Data Protection laws that have existed for well over 30 years. The only real changes are to constantly irritate everyone with demands to agree or otherwise to cookies whenever we open a web site and the right to be forgotten - which is the only useful part of the whole hideously expensive pantomime. 

GDPR is just another one of the many creations by overpaid mandarins in order to keep themselves in a job, regardless whether or not there's any actual gain.

Google will already know more about you that the government ever will ?

My medical data is the least of my worries. Google already have the market share of the web so in reality they can’t get much more - so our gov giving them access to every medical record will be ok. But who do you think they will charging for the inside info of your medical file  - life insurance, car insurance …

Put it another way google want this data because they can refine it and sell it and once they have it it they will have it or the exracted good bits for evermore!

4 hours ago, Westward said:

I don't care very much what they do with my medical data

... until they take you gun licences away or your children.  Why?  Becaus a 3rd party, with whom your data were shared, says you are a risk.  Which 3rd party?  Well we do not need to tell you unsleess you take us to court and it will cost you £30,000 to do so, and we might appeal that and you need another £20,000 to do so.

Your data, our interpretations.  How dare you object to your overlords using your data to protect others.

Don't be silly,

RS

51 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

... until they take you gun licences away or your children.  Why?  Becaus a 3rd party, with whom your data were shared, says you are a risk.  Which 3rd party?  Well we do not need to tell you unsleess you take us to court and it will cost you £30,000 to do so, and we might appeal that and you need another £20,000 to do so.

Your data, our interpretations.  How dare you object to your overlords using your data to protect others.

Don't be silly,

RS

Oh Dear, Big Brother paranoia again.

Medical records and Criminal records are not the same thing. The police can already obtain permission to snoop into your medical data.

14 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Ive opted out. Quite happy my medical data is not shared with 3rd parties. When I say shared I mean sold. So stuff can be targeted towards me, like life insurance, health policies etc etc etc. 

This. SOLD. For money. And how much of that comes to me? Nil. Nada. Zero. Zilch. So I've opted out. I used to give blood until I also found out that the UK Blood Transfusion Service was SELLING any surplus abroad. Again I opted out and stopped. I gave my blood for free for the benefit of all who might need it. Be that here or elsewhere including abroad. Free. As a gesture of humanity to help someone that it might save. Not for it to be sold. 

Edited by enfieldspares

19 hours ago, Westward said:

Medical records and Criminal records are not the same thing.

Correct, but that does not stop a bad medical record stopping you getting things like Firearms certs.  At the moment I think only mental health issues are looked at, but there is no reason I can see, that mission creep will mean more things get looked at:  poor vision?  poor hearing?  what about epilepsy?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching me!

RS

10 hours ago, RockySpears said:

So they have everything covered already, just need the data and thy are done

Exactly. And NHS Data Sharing doesn't change a thing.

There's an up side to data sharing too. How about better medications though very large scale surveys into effectiveness or side effects etc.

When I was a lad, the attitude that "The Man" was out to get you was called "Ant establishmentarianism". It's always been there and no doubt always will be - and yes, we've sleepwalked into losing so many of our ancient freedoms that I truly feel sorry that a large percentage of the population have no idea what it's like to be able to say what you like, write what you like, think what you like and not have to worry that there might be consequences such as prosecution or loss of employment. And never know what it's like to have a police force who fully understand that their primary function is the maintenance of law and order as opposed to controlling people's behaviour in the guise of "protecting public safety". 

But I still don't care who sees my medical records and still don't understand what is so secret about them that confidentiality is deemed to be crucial.

You mentioned firearms certificates. So, in your opinion, should someone with say epilepsy, be allowed to decide for him or herself about using firearms or should their fitness be assessed by a 3rd party such as a doctor? 

On 15/06/2021 at 19:39, Westward said:

So, in your opinion, should someone with say epilepsy, be allowed to decide for him or herself about using firearms

Yes.

Because why would a professional say anything but no.  If there is the slightest reason for rejection, then that is what they will do.  Because - litigation.

RS

When is this sale of information happening ?

a bit odd , this is about (? ) to happen .

I've been getting emails about repeat prescriptions and getting them delivered .

I thought just me and my gp/nhs knew about an medications I may(or may not) be getting .

How would a company know I was getting prescriptions and have my email address ?  Meybe all that information has been sold already .

Edited by cuffy
Finger needed a rest .

On 19/06/2021 at 19:22, RockySpears said:

Because why would a professional say anything but no.  If there is the slightest reason for rejection, then that is what they will do.  Because - litigation.

It is an opportunity for the doctor to declare anything he thinks might be relevant.

Saying yes or no won't protect them from litigation should the worst happen.  But if they were that concerned, they could just straight refuse; which would just make them look like even more of an **** at the coroner's court.

But remember they see relatively few of these, but are doing a similar thing multiple times a day with driving licences. I suspect most of the medical profession is more relaxed than you think.

Back to NHS data sharing,  according to fullfact

The data collection won’t include people’s names or where they live. Of course, that’s not the only information that can identify someone. Other details, like NHS numbers, postcodes and dates of birth, which can identify people, will go through a process called pseudonymisation...

Anyway, on the list of things to worry about, this is relatively low according to me...