2 3/4” geese shells?

wildfowler.250

So I’ve generally been a 3” 36g mammoth 3’s for ducks for as long as I can remember now,(42g 1’s for most of the geese). I’ve been tempted by an old hammer gun which would be mainly a novelty for rough shooting and crows/pigeons.

I know there’s the Gamebore (super steel?) 32g 3’s? These would work for ducks but is there anything suitable for flighting geese on the odd outing assuming they were 35/40 yards? I drop plenty with the 36g 3’s when there’s no time to change on a duck flight and distances are sensible. 4g can’t make too much difference?

The chokes are also 1/4 and 3/4 which is a slightly different issue. Are the cartridge manufacturers planning to completely stop lead production over the next 5 years or so?

The 3 1/2” semi auto will still be the mainstay but you know how it is for a new gun and a bit of a novelty!

Cheers!

8 hours ago, London Best said:

Don’t worry. Since steel became mandatory I have shot a fair few geese, greylags and Canadas, with 32 g steel 4’s and they always worked just fine. I tend to keep all shots under 45 yards. Chokes were open/very open.

Cheers! Good to know! I didn’t think 4g between the 2 3/4” and the 3” would make a huge difference. Surprised more folk haven’t tried the shorter shells in older Guns. Counting down to next season already!

22 hours ago, London Best said:

Just be aware the old hammergun may only be chambered 2 1/2 inch.

13 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Anytime I’ve shot geese when out after duck any 2 3/4 inch no 4 steel shot done the trick shot placement I’ve aimed always at the head As London best said you should check chamber length in case hammer gun 2 1/2 inch chamber 

Cheers guys, glad to know it works,(thought as much). It’s just trendy to put as heavy a shot as you can through a 3 1/2” shell - I’m guilty of this myself.

I suppose there’s a lot of TSS options as well if you had a 2 1/2” chamber but whether these would destroy your older guns or not I’ve no idea!

Edited by wildfowler.250

22 hours ago, joejoe said:

Fiocchi sell a 35g 70mm cartridges which I thing works as well as any 3” I have tried, but bit cheaper. Comes in 2s and 4s. 

32g Gamebores are ok too.

That’s handy to know! A size 2 might be quite handy for early season geese. I prefer a #1 over BB’s in steel anyway. Will need to try and find a distributor

Cheers for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...

The RC carts I'm using are 2 3/4" 34g 3s and work very well, so good in fact I don't bother most times trying to swap carts and fumbling around when the odd goose appears.  Only really load the gun with bigger when I'm going for geese.

Edited by figgy