Recommended me an obd2 scanner please

harrycatcat1

I have a fault come come up on my dash and was wondering if a scanner might take the fault off or at least give me a clue how to cure it.

I have done some searching and there seems to be some that are between a tenner and twenty quid. Have you had any experience of the cheap ones?

I know you can pay hundreds and perhaps thousands but I was more interested in the lower end that plugs in and not having to download apps n stuff.

Edited by harrycatcat1

Have to be careful with them as a lot of the time they give you a code that will come up as something like "fuel pressure regulator performance" this doesn't necessarily mean that you need to buy a new fuel pressure regulator, what it's telling you is that a certain sensor is getting bad data readings, you then have to figure out why.

Is your car doing anything apart from showing you a warning light?

30 minutes ago, lampro said:

What car

Mercedes GLE 👍

17 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Have to be careful with them as a lot of the time they give you a code that will come up as something like "fuel pressure regulator performance" this doesn't necessarily mean that you need to buy a new fuel pressure regulator, what it's telling you is that a certain sensor is getting bad data readings, you then have to figure out why.

Is your car doing anything apart from showing you a warning light?

It's the sensor that bleaps when it thinks that you are too close to someone in front.

I've never had it before so don't miss it but it comes up when you start the car. Just annoying really.

21 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Mercedes GLE 👍

It's the sensor that bleaps when it thinks that you are too close to someone in front.

I've never had it before so don't miss it but it comes up when you start the car. Just annoying really.

An obd2 scanner wont likely pick up on that sensor, the obd2 scanners are aimed towards your more critical sensors, like engine/gearbox/ABS/traction control, generally anything that will trigger the engine light. Best course of action would be an auto electrician, be wary of going to dealerships(stealerships) as they will rob you blind even just to plug your car in, although Mercedes will have gear to try and interrogate all the other systems, the likelihood is they will recommend replacing all the sensors, after charging you about £100 just to plug it in.

9 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Just as an outside the box suggestion, have you checked all forward facing sensors for debri/dirt? 

Yes I looked ont tinternet and that was one of the first things that was suggested, but thanks for mentioning it 👍

10 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi if you know your radio code disconnect your battery for a few hours it should reset the ecu

You don't seem to get any books with them nowadays, or servicing books 🤔

11 hours ago, Rob85 said:

An obd2 scanner wont likely pick up on that sensor, the obd2 scanners are aimed towards your more critical sensors, like engine/gearbox/ABS/traction control, generally anything that will trigger the engine light. Best course of action would be an auto electrician, be wary of going to dealerships(stealerships) as they will rob you blind even just to plug your car in, although Mercedes will have gear to try and interrogate all the other systems, the likelihood is they will recommend replacing all the sensors, after charging you about £100 just to plug it in.

Oh dear, it shows how much I know about them , seems to be an auto electrician then?

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

As Rob85 has said - the OBD2 scanner doesn't cover much except engine, intake and exhaust sensors. It won't help with ABS, traction control or proximity sensors.

Thanks 👍

7 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This is the picture of the dash.

20210614_110632.jpg

For that it's likely a sensor has packed in, they are on either side of your bumper, just in board from the lights  so have a quick look to see if there is any obvious damage.

On further reading there is also the possibility that it requires a software update, you could ring a stealership to ask if this is the case but don't accept having to take the car in to be checked, they should know by looking up your VIN number.

4 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

For that it's likely a sensor has packed in, they are on either side of your bumper, just in board from the lights  so have a quick look to see if there is any obvious damage.

On further reading there is also the possibility that it requires a software update, you could ring a stealership to ask if this is the case but don't accept having to take the car in to be checked, they should know by looking up your VIN number.

I have looked and cleaned the outside of the sensors and can't see any damage. 

I will ring Mercedes to see what they say about updates, thanks very much for your advice👍