under attack

oowee

Two weeks ago I returned home after a few days away to find the steps below the bedroom doors, patio doors steps and front door threshold plastered with bird carp. The windows were also marked with scratches. I got the jet wash out and assumed that a group of seagulls had organised a rave whilst i was away.

The next morning I was woken by cawing out the front of the house and out in my dressing gown to the front hall I saw a crow trying to get through the glass. I opened the door and scared it away and went back to bed. Thirty mins later it was back. This time I went around the house with the 20g and let fly as it made its escape (missed both barrels :lol:, it was early). 

Just back from a weekend and the b....... thing is back. Wife thinks its a haunting from the dead.

I did read on the BBC that it can happen this time of year attacking reflections and generally going a bit mad. Back out with jet wash today.

20210614_084154.jpg

20210614_084207.jpg

20210614_084213.jpg

I had some sort of wagtail attacking my car windscreen repeatedly a month or two ago, and several windows of the house. A bit of cardboard on the windsceen put it off the car, and I just let it peck the house windows. It stopped after a couple of weeks - mating season I presume, so trying to **** itself or fight off a rival!

It's funny this should come up.  I have had at least 3 coming in the garden and close to the house - whereas normally they keep out.  I have nesting/young blackbirds and others in the garden, so don't want crows.  I'm a bit too much 'in the village' to use the shotgun (even the .410), though my immediate neighbour is a shooting man himself.  They are very quick to depart and I suspect an air rifle shot will be hard to arrange ........

I'm also a little unsure what measures I need to have taken prior to taking a shot to cover myself under the 'tried every other possible measure' on the basis that I am protecting the other songbird etc species.

How about a silhouette of a bird of prey bluetacked to the window? Or if you have any crow decoys place them where the intruder sits. (Although this could have the opposite effect 😂😂)

34 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm also a little unsure what measures I need to have taken prior to taking a shot to cover myself under the 'tried every other possible measure' on the basis that I am protecting the other songbird etc species.

“Other songbirds etc species” This is a tricky one I think. As  I recall, the GL in earlier years once said “for the the protection of songbirds”.  However, GL40 is now specific “to conserve endangered wild birds” and these are listed. So, if challenged it would be necessary to state which endangered bird was being protected. Looking at the list I would say I’ve seen song thrushes recently. Nobody could contradict you. Even if the complaint had not seen one it doesn’t mean that there were none in the area!!

10 hours ago, discobob said:

May have been - getting to that age where remembering why you walked into a room is a success

It's called "contemplating the hereafter". You walk into a room and think "What am I here after?" 😄

I've heard the corvids eating putty from windows thing several times in fiction. There was one thing I watched recently where a witch's jackdaw familiar was in disgrace because he ate the putty from the windows. I'm trying to remember what it was, probably a kid's thing I was watching with my child. 

ETA: Nanny McPhee 2.

Edited by ehb102

• 3 weeks later...