VW Transporter Engine management light (EGR Valve?)

Doc Holliday

One for the diesel/petrolheads on here. My EML has been messing about for the last couple of years or so. It hasn't affected the performance at all. It only seems to come on when the outside air temperature gets above 12 or 13C. I have done a bit of research and it seems the EGR valve is a known issue and is something relatively straightforward insomuch as cleaning the EGR valve or even having the system decarbonised. I've had a look at a few online videos and it does seem pretty straightforward but having a chat with a mechanic this morning was told that the turbo block may have a crack in it as this can cause the same issue, apparently. I would be grateful of some straightforward advice. Thanks.

If your turbo had a crack in it I would have expected it to have disassembled itself into an oily smokey mess before now. If you had an issue with the turbo you would be getting engine management codes to do with turbo boost pressure. Pull the EGR and any pipes that feed it and clean it, depending on how gacked up it is you may need a screwdriver, toothbrush and a can of Mr muscle oven cleaner to get the rubbish out.

Egr valves are a royal pain in the bum. My old mk3 mondeo sttdci would go through one every 40000ish miles there were several failure types. Sticks open, means car would be a pig to start and keep running at low speeds, stick closed you would not know there was a problem without the mil light.

I did have a look at the EGR Valve cleaners and, although I did consider using one, decided against it because it would still possibly be a pain. 

I called a mechanic I know and spoke to some time back about this. He is taking it in and will turn it off on the control module and then remap it. For what that costs, it still works out cheaper than paying someone who knows how to do these things properly to supply and fit a replacement and for that to go AWOL down the line.